Friday, April 17, 2009

End o' week musings



Things have been smoothing out for me this week, although my car is still in the body shop. But Carin and Tom brought their Geo Metro to me on Friday so I don't have to rack up a lot of rental car charges. Yes, I know I can get that money back, but I really need it now and it's surely less stressful to know I can use the Metro as long as needed without worrying how much it's going to cost me.



Friday night I did my usual walk and workout and then took it easy. There wasn't any yoga Saturday, so I slept in a bit and then took my mom to the grocery store. We went to Albertson's so I could find all the produce I needed even though the "view" is better at Fresh and Easy. Back home, I cut up everything for DIY salad and packed up for a day at Tom and Carin's in Bellflower.

Mom came with and despite trying to cheat at croquet, she lost to me and Carin this time! Tom brought out his latest finds-- an awesome Robert Johnson picture disc (actually more of an artist's rendering), which had six songs on it including "Crossroad Blues," a Janis Joplin LP and a couple of other real oldies and played them throughout the afternoon.

It turned out that Tom had never heard the myth (or mysteriously true tale?) about Johnson meeting the Devil at the Crossroads and making a pact so he could become a famous musician. We had a philosophical discussion about the story, including what we would ask for, if we even would ask for anything, and how we would try to outsmart the devil. I think our conversation got more interesting the more martinis we sipped... but....

Later we enjoyed grilled chicken, my salad stuff and purple marshmallow Peep bunnies, as well as cigars and a nice soak in the hot tub. Ah! What a perfect day!!


Easter Sunday I slept in again-- woo hoo! Then I worked out and got busy in the kitchen. I made a big mix of vegetables with spices and marinated steaks for dinner, along with some hardboiled eggs and a few other treats. Mom enjoyed the meal so much, I'm afraid I may have to cook for her forever after...



But I just have to share my centerpiece story with you!! In my travels I found this very funny Easter gift for children. It's an "egg" that you soak in a cup of water and a "chick" cracks out and grows. Lacking time as usual, I glanced at the box it looked like it would only take an hour or so for the "miracle" to happen, so I popped the egg in a glass of water and put it on the table. Hey, by dessert, I should have a chick, right? Wrong. It didn't do a thing. All through the meal my mom kept saying, "It's cracking, look!" But it wasn't. It was just laying at the bottom of the glass quietly and solidly.

We went for a walk, we ate dessert, we watched "60 Minutes." Mom kept saying, "It's cracking, look!" But still it sat, solid...

The next morning I looked at the egg in the glass... solid.

I talked to my special guy and told him my story and he laughed. He said that it wouldn't "hatch" for a least 24-36 hours. How did he know? I'm not sure and I'm not sure I want to know, but he was right. Finally on Tuesday morning, the egg started to crack. By Wednesday the chick was out and what a strange chick it is. It has big eyes, a round head, a round body with a hint of a tail and roundish feet. I guess there's a limit to making things look real when you're making them out of that grow-big-in-water stuff....


Going back to Monday, we had major excitement in the office. My co-worker Vernor went for his mid-morning walk around the outside of our building and heard crying in the bushes. Ever the good journalist, he had to investigate and he found a tiny kitten that appeared abandoned. He brought the mini-tiger inside as he decided what to do. She really looked like a little tiger- goldish/brown fur with black stripes. Vernor ended up taking the kitten to his veterinarian so they could give it a checkup and now it's at a rescue so it can be cared for as needed. Vernor can't be a kitty daddy because of his work schedule, but when she's ready, he will bring her home.

Right now, he's asking people for name ideas. I suggested Bagheera, like in "Jungle Book." The only other name in the running was Jessica, but Vernor's not overly keen on that, as he is a film buff and prefers movie-related names. Yes, I know there's Jessica Rabbit, but we're talking kitties here! One other employee is pushing for LaVerne, a female counterpart to Vernor. lol!


The remainder of my week was filled with interviews such as jazz composer and musician Bill Cunliffe, Stacey lead singer for rockers Carbon 9 (check out their new album, "The Bull"-- it's hot!) and Elaina Newport of the political satire troupe Capitol Steps. I also attended the media preview for the Pasadena Showcase House of Design, but you'll need to visit Diary of a Doo Dah Queen (www.insidesocal.com/doodah ) for details.


Last night I had dance practice and today my physical therapist put my knee through it's paces, so I'm getting back to my physical fun. I teased my therapist today too, asking her if she's going to come out with "Sarah's Summer Shape-Up," because she loves to make me work and leaves me limping.... The perky blonde just laughed (with a touch of sadism I might add...).


I hoping that my special guy and I will head out to the Renaissance Faire this weekend. It's not totally his thing, but he said if he didn't have to dress up, he would go with me because he knows how much I enjoy it. Perhaps I'll forego my Ren gear and go as a time traveler as well.


Next week I am going to catch Carbon 9's tour kickoff at the Knitting Factory Tuesday night and hopefully have some more dance practices. We're planning to perform at the big Cairo Caravan event at the Queen Mary in June (visit http://www.mecda.org/ if you'd like some information). I wonder what other adventures I can find...


In rotation this week: Carbon 9, Orange Sky, The 88, Dengue Fever, Old Californio and Horse Crazy.
Photos we got 'em: I received a lot of fun e-mails this week, so I'm sharing a great surfing photo along with cute pet pictures and one of the jewelry pieces my friend Dan has created.




Thought o' the Week: Change can be cathartic. On Tuesday my new desk was finally built and it was time to move. My department had already settled in their new digs and I had been the grrrl without an island for a few days. I threw out a lot of "junk," stuff that was in the bottom of my drawer and was never going to see the light of day again. I also took home and gave away a lot of my little nicknacks so I have an uncluttered workspace. Lastly I spruced up my desk in a more adult manner with holders for my pens and paper clips and rubber bands, my dictionary and theasarus at my fingers and a small arrangement of dried flowers for some color.

I'll be honest, I don't really care for where I sit now, as I face a wall and everything else is to my back, plus there's lots of people-traffic going past my desk all the time and the people who work over in this area can get very loud (very unrpofessional when you're on the phone!). I'm going to have to make the best of things, as I don't have a choice.

It is now up to me to find my zen, my inner peace in my new space, my muse. The first step was in cleaning out my desk and starting fresh. The second was coming in the office with a fresh attitude. Change is usually scary, but it's not such a bad thing. It can make you look at the world in a different way and, perhaps, you'll see something you've missed.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: