Friday, November 12, 2010

End o' Week Musings

Do I know how to have fun? You bet!


I really felt like being a slacker last weekend and doing only what I absolutely had to- grocery shopping, laundry... But Saturday night beckoned and I was out the door to the Arcadia Blues Club to see the Bobby Bluehouse Band and Chico's Bail Bonds.






ABC is a plain venue, but the sound is great, the service is very good and the food and drinks are always yummy. Bobby's band took requests and played a nice variety of cover tunes. Chico's was energetic, even though the guys were all under the weather. They played favorites from the repertoire, as well as some of their new material.



Tuesday I had the pleasure of interviewing mezzo-soprano Suzanna Guzman for a story to preview her role in "Amahl and the Night Visitors," which opens at the Pasadena Playhouse in December. She is as pretty as she is nice! I was very impressed by Suzanna, she was very warm and forthcoming about her life and career. We had a wonderful chat and you can watch for the story at http://www.sgvn.com/ in December.



Last night I went to the premiere of Sanrio's 50th Anniversary event, Small Gift, at Barker Hanger in Santa Monica. My mom is a Hello Kitty fan, so I brought her along. We enjoyed all the activities. We played miniature golf, rode the Ferris wheel, had our photo taken in character costumes, looked at the art exhibit, ate, shopped and more. It was a full evening.





Small Gift will be open to the public through Nov. 21. Admission is free, but there is a small cost for some of the attractions. For more info, visit www.sanrio.com/smallgift.






I am sooo excited about tonight, as I'm going to the Glass House in Pomona to see Terrible Things. I just can't get enough of their album- it's well written and catchy. Heck, I keep coming into work this week singing one song or another.



Tomorrow I will be performing with Danse Macabre at the opening of Rancho de Philo's triple cream sherry event. The winery sells its famous sherry for only a few weeks each year and it's like sipping dessert! There will be tastings tomorrow and you can enjoy Elizabethan music while you sample and shop.



Danse Macabre
9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 13
Rancho de Philo
10050 Wilson Ave.
Alta Loma, CA 91737





I'm probably going to catch "Morning Glory" with my favorite film critic, Vernor, Sunday. I'll tell you what I think next week and you can find out what Vernor thinks about the movies at http://www.dabelly.com/ or http://www.sgvn.com/



Next week holds promise of calming down, but you know I prefer it busy, busy, busy!


In rotation this week: Terrible Things, Hades Inferno and Rob Zombie.


Photos we got 'em: Hello Kitty grrrls (mom & me last night) and some cute pet pics.


Thought o' the week: Grab life. Every time I feel a little overwhelmed by all the things I do, I remind myself that we're only here a short time and I don't want to regret not having done something. My friends often ask how I do so much or comment that they can't keep up with me. I don't think they really can't live life like I do, but rather they prefer a slower pace. I always say I'll sleep when I'm dead.


Here's a short list of things I've done: driven across the U.S., learned to fly a plane and ride a motorcycle, surfed, swam with sharks, skateboarded against a dog in a contest, went on a cruise, spent 10 days on a houseboat, gone to more concerts than I can count, sang in a rock band and on the radio, performed in opera competitions, camped in the middle of nowhere, was featured on "The Daily Show"...



You get the idea. Now, I don't expect you to do as much as I do, but consider trying something new or saying yes rather than sitting home on the couch. Life's out there~ grab it!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: