Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Terrible Things to release new album

TERRIBLE THINGS frontman Fred Mascherino has seen it all. From touring in his veggie oil-powered Volkswagen Rabbit, to writing and recording gold-selling albums and headlining arena shows around the globe. But, the Pennsylvania born-and-bred musician has never produced, recorded, and released an album on his very own… until now.

After fighting to be released from his major label contract, Mascherino wrote and recorded a handful of songs that would become his new album Pre-Transmission (for independent release on December 11, 2012) in his home studio.

 “I basically crawled into a hole and didn’t come out until I was done”, explains Mascherino. “I didn’t let anyone hear it because I knew it would influence me too much. I’ve worked with producers over the years who were all great, but this time I wanted to carry the decisions on my own shoulders”.

Building on the classic structure of robust rock n’ roll, Fred creates a listening experience from start to finish by leading into every song with an intro before kicking into guitar laden songs packed with leads, solos, and ear catching drum fills. He starts off relieving his anger on the sing/scream layered “History” then eases into “Innocent” that contains an extra helping of guitar leads and solos. After he laid the foundation for the love ballad “Last Look”, Fred called on Jon Simmons of Balance and Composure to lay down some vocals.

 “I’m a big fan of Jon’s voice”, comments Mascherino. “I think him singing on that song brings it to another place and makes it really special for me.”

Pre-Transmission artwork
Not only was this self-produced and engineered, but he played every instrument including drums.

 “I didn’t know exactly where I was going, but I just kept writing and pushing. I knew if I kept repeating the same process, I’d keep getting the same result and I wanted to go somewhere else. This new music is closer to the music I grew up on. It’s like Led Zeppelin and The Beatles mixed with 90s grunge-pop. I feel like Terrible Things is finally becoming the music that I always wanted to make”, adds Mascherino.

With a healthy desire for fans to experience music as more then just a blip on a hard drive, Mascherino chose to initially self-release Pre-Transmission on vinyl as a continuous piece of music.

 “I had this idea that I kept calling the unbroken record”, utters Mascherino. “I have no interest in releasing singles. Rock music has always been about the album as a whole, especially in the days of vinyl and cassette. This is an EP but it plays more like the side of an album, so that’s why we’re referring to it as Side One”.

 The single-sided 12” 180-gram heavyweight black vinyl features artwork by his wife Elena Mascherino and includes a custom etching on the B-side.

 “It just made sense that Elena and I worked on something together finally”, Mascherino explains. “I was on tour for so many years in the past that we experienced a kind of renaissance while I was home reworking Terrible Things”. 

The first pressing is limited to 500 copies, which will be sold directly to fans and independent retail. It will be available digitally and in independent record stores on December 11, 2012. Fans who pre-order vinyl from the band’s website will receive it two weeks early (November 27th).

Pre-Transmission promo
Link: http://youtu.be/jiIxciblBlQ
Fred Mascherino spent nearly five years cutting his teeth in Taking Back Sunday. In 2010, Terrible Things released their self-titled major label debut, which was produced by Jason Elgin (Maylene and the Sons of Disaster) who also mixed Pre-Transmission. Earlier this year, he wrapped up a nine-week tour filling in on bass for The Lemonheads. Fred continues to spread the word about living an eco-minded lifestyle and eating compassionately.

Terrible Things is Fred Mascherino (vocals, guitar), Aaron Van Allen (bass, backing vocals), and Steve Curtiss (drums). The band will hit the road on November 29th with Geoff Rickly(Thursday) and Garrett Klahn (Texas Is The Reason).



TERRIBLE THINGS 
House Tour (locations TBA)
Tickets: http://houseshows.limitedrun.com
Thu/Nov-29 - Buffalo, NY
Fri/Nov-30 - Springfield, MA
Sat/Dec-01 - Lowell, MA
Sun/Dec-02 - Wallingford, CT
Tue/Dec-04 - Lancaster PA

No comments: