Friday, September 21, 2012

End o' week musings

Excitement is my middle name this week!

It began last Saturday at the Los Angeles County Fair. My drummer Ric Sarabia and I performed our annual show with all new music and choreography. I danced with my veil, a fan and of course my swords, but I had a big surprise this time-- I ended the show dancing with three (count 'em three!) swords on my head an one across my chest. First time for me on any stage ever... and to be honest, I had only been practicing that stunt for one week! Cool beans, huh?!


In the evening I had the pleasure of sitting in on Peter Dills' ( www.peterdills.com ) "Dining with Dills" radio show. One of the women who helps with the show is also a teacher in the Pasadena area and she told me that she had used my "Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3" newspaper story for a lesson in her classroom on writing well. What an honor! She also said that it sparked a lot of questions, so she may revisit it for some creative writing or other lessons. Wow!

Wednesday I went to Firefly Bistro in South Pasadena to meet my friend Dean for dinner and Brad Colerick's Wing and Song Series. The singer/songwriter showcase was very good and included performances by Brad, Tom Corbett, Lisa Turner, Ed Tree and more. The night was perfected by some of the best tacos I have ever had- totally gourmet and totally satisfying. And believe me, two tacos were plenty, as I was full, but not so full to not split some molten lava cake- yummy!

The denouement of the evening was finally meeting Brad in person. We've been Twitter buddies for a long time, but never chatted face to face. He called me the "entertainment earthquake of the San Gabriel Valley" - I don't know if that's true, but I'm flattered nonetheless.

Last night I was finally back to my Polynesian/Tahitian dance class. It felt so good to be doing the hula and the bora bora again! I was worn out by the end and spent some time soaking in the tub before tucking in for the night.

This weekend you'll find me at Doo Dah on the Green at the Pasadena Museum of History, here's the info if you'd like to join me:

The Pasadena Museum of History and the Light Bringer Project will present "Doo Dah on the Green," a summer concert featuring some of the famed parades favorite musical entries. So grab your lawn chairs or a blanket and a picnic, settle down on the Feynes Mansion lawn and treat your ears to the sounds of Snotty Scotty & the Hankies, Horses on Astroturf and more.

 4-7 p.m. Sept. 23
Pasadena Museum of History, 470 W. Walnut St., Pasadena
Free
626-577-1660
www.pasadenahistory.org 

The galleries will also be open so you may visit "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been: 35 Years of the Doo Dah Parade. Admission is $7 adults, $6 seniors and students and free for children under 12 and active duty military personnel and their families.
 
I'm also planning to catch Owl City in concert next week~ watch for my story on him at www.sgvn.com
 
 In rotation this week: Owl City, Green Jelly, Dead Kennedys, TSOL, Subhumans, Prodigy, Joe Walla, Oojami and Bad Brains.
 
Photos we got 'em:  Just a couple of cute pet pics from the web.

Thought o' the week: Agree to disagree. This morning one of my coworkers is quite disgruntled that we have to be in the office and they cannot watch the Endeavor space shuttle flyover. We're not even sure if it's going to come that close to us. Still, I've been watching the livestream of its flight online, because honestly, I would like to see it live too, but I'm also stuck inside.

Anyway, I showed my coworker the shuttle online and they just huffed at me and got mad and now won't talk to me. Stupid! Why waste energy over something you can't change? And why take your frustration out on someone who's in the same boat and just trying to be helpful? Well, I'm not going to let it spoil my day! I'm going to agree to disagree.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie
 
 

No comments: