Friday, February 19, 2010

End o' week musings









Mr. Sandman~ where are you? To sleep, perchance to dream...






Yeah, there's a theme here and it's I really, really need some pillow time! But first, let me tell you about my week so you understand. Oh, and be sure to put in all in the context that I also have been watching as much of the Winter Olympics as possible.



Friday I kept close to home because I knew I had a full slate. Saturday I took my mom with me to Strings in Glendora to catch Murphy's Flaw. This bluegrass group is pretty darn good. The players filled the stage and their groovin' tunes filled the venue. The best way I can sum up their performance is "Murphy's Flaw is worth waking up for" - their show was at 8 a.m.!


If you're more of an evening person, watch for one of their "normal" shows or catch them at the big festival coming up in Topanga.


After the show, my mom and I enjoyed breakfast and then I went home and got ready for the 33rd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Queen tryouts at the American Legion in East Pasadena. It was one of the best afternoons I've had in a while. As a former Queen, I liked being on "the other side" and judging the acts for a change.


I sipped martinis, listened to the band, caught up with friends and then was treated to some of the strangest talent you'd ever dream to find in one room. There was a almost-naked opera singer, a whistling champion, a stilt walker, a woman in a fat suit who rolled around on Twinkies, a woman lip synching to Lady GaGa and more. And the winner?!- Erica Valentina, a very talented guitar player and singer who dresses in drag and has the great legs to pull it off. Congrats Queen Erica!





Sunday I met Vernor for "Wolfman." The critics have been mixed on this film, but we both thought it was pretty good. It was a tad violent and gory, but it was reminiscent of the Saturday afternoon "Creature Features" I grew up with. Don't go to the theater expecting to come out with some wonderful message on the meaning of life- plan only to be entertained.


The scenery, the set, the costumes were all clinchers for me in the movie. It was just-right creepy with lots of fog, a big, empty mansion (that really needed cleaning- hey, what did that servant do all day anyway?) and suspicious townfolk. Worth my mantinee dollars...


After the movie, Vernor and I went to BJs to celebrate his birthday. I had been thinking about their tomato bisque soup and wedge salad and it was perfect. We spilt a pizookie (warning- the ice creamed cookie confections are smaller than the last time we imbibed, but still as yummy).


I managed to sneak in a short nap before my special guy showed up to make my Valentine's Day complete.


Wednesday I went with my friend Byron to "Flash Back," an annual show for Disney employees and their families and friends. This show is extra interesting because the performers are all the behind-the-scenes people from Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure, such as janitors, food servers, secretaries, etc. And wow! did they have talent.



The people were divided into four "teams" and each one took on a different theme- Fantasyland, Adventureland, Frontierland and Tomorrowland. Each theme represented a different mini-show complete with a story, music, singing and dancing. It was like seeing four little Disney type stage performances.




The best part of the event was that the audience had bought tickets to attend and all of the money went to charity. A different benefactor is selected each year and this time it was Discovery Arts, an organization that brings costumes, makeup and more to children with cancer and other life threatening diseases throughout Orange and Los Angeles Counties.



Last night I went to my dance class and am getting our new coconut choreography. We use coconut halves to clap as we move. We also practiced our poi balls and I'm finally getting the - pardon the pun - swing of it.


Tonight I am planning to go to the opening reception for "Characters," an art show featuring works by comic book and animation artists, at the Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena. For info, look further down my blog or visit http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/


Next week remains to be seen....

In rotation this week: Jeff Bayless, Sonic Nurse and an assortment of bits and pieces.

Photos we got 'em: Three pet pictures, including one of my friend Joanne's ever-adorable Colonel going through his paces in agility class, plus a photo of former Doo Dah Queen Kavita, me and 33rd Doo Dah Queen Erica Valentine after his win at the tryouts taken by my friend, photojournalist extraordinare Terry Miller.


Thought of the week: Rest and recharge. I often say I'll sleep when I'm dead and I mean it. If there's an adventure to be had, you can bet I'll be there even if it means I'll miss some much-needed zzzzs.


But I also know my body and I know I need to be good to it too. That's why -stop the presses! - I've actually planned out one day this weekend as my laze-like-a-slug and spend-some-time-snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug day, which is just a funky way of saying I'm going sleep in, get a nap and whatever else I need.


It's important to listen to your body and pay heed what it needs or you'll pay for it later in a big way.


My brain is beginning to feel like those Bing commercials, you know, the ones where people are spewing facts and can't stop. I have all these ideas, plans and thoughts bouncing around and I'm almost overwhelmed, so I definitely need to unplug and unwind before I end up curled in a fetal position and crying with frustration.


I do keep my cool by getting in exercise, including dance and yoga, which definitely helps. I can relax as I work out and let my mind ramble around aimlessly. It's very healthy to "turn off" for a while and let yourself just be in the moment.

Have you listened to your body lately? Do you need to just "be"? Take some deep breaths today, a soak in the tub or just let the sun/wind/rain/snow (insert your weather here) kiss your face. Find your peace and all will be right in your world again~ and mine too!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: