Friday, February 26, 2010

End o' week musings



















I was sooo comfortable and warm that I didn't want to get out of bed today. I even leaned over to peek out my window at the weather- sunshine! Must get up... must not miss sunshine before it starts pouring rain again... must get moving!!



Friday I went to the opening of "Characters" at Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena. The show features fine art and other work by comic book and animation artists and is really interesting. Some of the work is perky and fun, some of it is dark and curious. The exhibit will be up through this weekend- visit http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/ for more information so you don't miss out!



Also, opening at GATOW Thursday will be a group exhibit featuring plein air artist Desdy Kellogg. Watch for my story on her, her work and her historic studio to publish Saturday at http://www.sgvn.com/. There should also be a photo gallery online at the site by Ron Fu, as he took a ton of photos of her art and that awesome Craftsman studio!




The show at GATOW will run March 4-7. Gallery hours are noon-6 p.m. daily (free admission), but there's special events each day too.


Thursday will be the artists' reception 7-10 p.m. Free.

March 5 7 p.m.-1 a.m. is First Friday Art Night, a party scene with live music, performances by Nocturra and Ric and more. Admission $5, includes refreshments.


March 6 is potluck day noon-6 p.m. Bring a dish to share, hang out and enjoy the vibe. Live music this day too! Free.


March 7 is Sunday brunch noon-6 p.m. Dish to share welcomed. Set a spell, chew the fat and relax with a mimosa or bloody mary. Free.



The rest of my weekend was a mom thing. I took my mother to get her taxes done on Saturday and we went to lunch at a little Mexican place in Monrovia. The food was quite good, I'll have to get back to you on the eatery's name... Later I took her to the Salvation Army thrift store, where we had an adventure going through the racks. It's fun to see the weird things people donate (they actually wore that?!) and the cool stuff that might fit you.



My mother scored a big armload of new duds. I picked up four tops- one an awesome vintage number with lace and rhinestones- classy! It was 40% off day, so we did well at the register too. I beat mom this time, as I also had a 50% off one item coupon. I ended up getting the most expensive blouse for free and extra off the rest for a grand total of - drumroll please - $6!




After sticking our treasures in the trunk, mom asked me to take her to the 99-Cent Store. I obliged, even though I knew it meant up to two hours of more aisles....


Sunday we went to the dog agility competition at the Fairplex in Pomona. Those dogs are amazing! But I was particularly charmed by the little Papillion who ran through the course to the top of the A frame and prompted sat down. He looked over the scene, wagging his tail, as his owner begged him to come down and continue the run. Finally he complied and did a good job too!


In March Atticus and I are going to join in on an agility class at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. I will be writing a story about our adventures for my Fun 101 column.

I'm also hoping to take up an offer to visit the train museum in Perris and drive one or more of their trains. It's a wonderful place to take your family. I haven't been there in ages, but I used to take their train outings occasionally and always enjoyed them.


The last highlight of my week was having lunch with Daryl Hernandez, who plays guitar for Demonica and leads the House of Rock program at the Fret House in Covina, and Mike Dave, bassist for Halford and Dramarama. There is hardly anything better in my world that spending a relaxing afternoon nibble with two handsome rocker dudes!



We had a great conversation - all over the board, even hockey - (Go Ducks! Mike lol!). Mike has offered to guest at Daryl's House of Rock. The program is for kids ages 9 and up to learn how to play music in a band situation. They practice and get to perform out at several gigs each session. Mike will listen to the kids play, offer tips and share stories from his musician life, play with the kids and more. Very cool!!




I'm again attempting to have a quieter weekend. I still may venture out to Nick's Taste of Texas in Covina for the House of Rock performance. Sunday I will be going to my friend Carins' house to help her do some work on her property- putting some of my sewing skills to good use I'm sure.



In rotation this week: Tom Petty, The Who, Orange Sky and assorted Hawaiian music.


Photos we got 'em: A few pet picks from the usual sites, a drawing of Frankenweenie that's just too cute and a scene from "Lilo and Stitch" which looks oddly like my dance class...





Thought o' the week: Clean up your act. It's not quite spring, but that doesn't mean you can't give everything a good dusting and I don't mean just your house, but also your life.





I like to open up all my doors and windows when I vacuum, dust, scrub and all that jazz to let in fresh air. In the same way, you can open your mind to fresh ideas while "cleaning up" and letting go of all the bad thoughts you have bouncing around in there. You can also clean up other areas of your life by making the first step to a more positive attitude, whether it's volunteering to help an organization in need or simply sharing a smile.


Get ready for spring whatever way you need most... and don't wait for the calendar, do it any time you feel the need for change. Now take a deep breath, get in motion and

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: