Friday, November 19, 2010

End o' Week Musings

I'm looking for a nice end to a just-right busy week.

Last Friday I went to see Terrible Things at the Glass House in Pomona. Some bands just can't do it live, but these guys rock. They had wonderful energy, good sound and were all around great entertainers. Friendly too, when I met them at the merch table. For my review and some awesome photos by Keith Durflinger, visit http://www.dabelly.com/







Saturday I got up super early and trundled out to Rancho de Philo winery in Alta Loma to perform with Danse Macabre. I played percussion and danced with one sword. In between sets we sipped sherry and water and nibbled on an array of bakery treats. It was a different and fun way to start my day.



I joined movie maven Vernor Rodgers (http://www.dabelly.com/ and http://www.sgvn.com/ ) for "Morning Glory." I just can't resist a Harrison Ford film (even though the actor seems to prefer women who don't eat). It was a familiar plot, but a fun ride all the way through. I laughed a lot and, scary, scary, Vernor and I both found things in the film that reminded us of the newsroom.



After the movie, we went to BJ's in West Covina. I had my usual favorite- baked potato half and salad, he had a lunch salad. I went home, did a few chores and then took a nice nap.







The bulk of my week has been filled with interviews and writing, including talking with Ronny Cox, who will bring his folk stylings to Caltech's Beckman Auditorium soon (http://www.events.caltech.edu/ ),








Last night was the last meeting of my Polynesian/Tahitian dance class for the year. My teacher, Tavana, gave us CDs with the song we've been dancing too, along with choreography instructions so we can practice at home. I'm gonna miss my Thursday night dancing, but I guess I can do it in my living room instead.


Tonight my artist friend Ngene Mwaura is having a little art show/gathering at his place in Altadena. I plan to go out there if it isn't pouring rain. Sunday I'm going to catch Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience in Riverside, he'll be in L.A. Tuesday. Learn more about the show and Bonham by reading my interview at http://www.sgvn.com/



Monday Gwar will be at the Glass House in Pomona and I've already dug out my special tank. The rockers offer up one of the most phenomenal stage shows ever, which includes dousing the crowd with streams of different colored bodily fluids (water). Fans can make a memory of the show by putting their now tye-dyed clothes into the dryer to seal the colors. If you don't want colorful clothes, soak them in cold water and wash them out thoroughly before drying.






Q. How do you know a Gwar concert just ended?


A. Look for the headbangers in tye-dyed t-shirts.


I have lots of interviews in the coming days, plus a Thanksgiving feast with friends Thursday. Woo hoo!


In rotation this week: Terrible Things, Taylor Swift, Barry Winslow (of the Royal Guardsmen), Julian Shah-Tayler and "Scrambles of Earth" from SETI-X.




Photos we got 'em: A couple of shots of me and Danse Macabre courtesy of my friend Karen Lee and some animal pix from the Web.


Thought o' the week: Enjoy surprises. Receiving the press release on holiday tree and plant tips (scroll down my blog to read it), brought some back memories.


Years ago I lived in a house close to a farming area with a nice big livingroom with two large windows and a perfect spot in between them for a tall Christmas tree. My guy at the time and I went to one of the local farms to pick the perfect one. This wasn't just a tree farm, it was a regular farm with crops and animals, but the farmer made extra money over the holidays with his trees.


After looking over the choices, we selected one and the farmer cut it for us. As we finished the transaction, he bounced the tree on its trunk several times. I told him thank you for shaking off dead needles, even though most would probably come off over the top of my car during the drive home. The farmer said he wasn't cleaning the tree, he was checking for squirrels!



It seems that the day before a woman called him frantically after bringing home a tree. As she began hanging ornaments, a squirrel popped out of the tree and began dashing around her living room. Poor thing, I bet the little guy was really freaked out-- someone cuts down his house, it goes for a car ride and then ends up inside a house with some person trying to decorate it! He must have been scared and confused.






But I still laughed. And I don't feel bad for the lady. It was just icing on what could have been a mundane day. Just like that experience, you should savor the surprises of life and look for the bright side of them. We all need to laugh a little more... and love a little more too.


Keep on rockin'
Mickie

1 comment:

Bobby Boy said...

Just ask Pat--squirrels and home interiors are a BAD combination. We wound up living in our Lazy Daze motorhome until we were sure the house was critter-free. Our squirrel invasion was two or three years ago, and it has yet to go from "traumatic" to "amusing".