Friday, August 24, 2007

End o' week musings











I've got Slayer on the brain today, as I'm going to be dashing out of work and hitting the highway to Irvine for their concert with Marilyn Manson tonight. But I'm not in such a big hurry that I can't spare some time for you.

I had a terrific time last weekend at Tribal Cafe. We danced on Friday night in our new costumes and the crowd really seemed to enjoy us. We had lots of fun too. It was really cool to see the dancers come in the venue pretty regular looking, then disappear backstage and come out vavoom! There were so many beautiful and talented performers, both Friday and Saturday night, that it was hard to take your eyes off of the stage.

I took workshops on Saturday and Sunday and really got my body going. Saturday was tough- lots of yoga in an almost-boot camp type of class. Sunday was hard, but soothing with yoga that I could relate to better, as it was more clear how it applied to my dancing. In fact, Sunday's class with Rachel Brice was so pleasant, that I had to fight from falling asleep when we relaxed on the floor at the end!

And shopping! Ooooo! How could I forget shopping?! There weren't a lot of vendors, but the ones there were good. I watched my money and bought a few things for future costumes that I haven't been able to find at a better price. And I even bartered successfully for better deals!

My week has been busy too. I interviewed Little Joe of tejano fame. He is such a humble and sweet man. I can't wait to see him on stage on Sept. 7 in Montebello. I also spoke with Cedric Sanders who is starring in "Matter of Honor" at the Pasadena Playhouse. He has been in "Law and Order" and is in the film, "The Ten." Smart, funny and easy on the eyes! My other fun interview was with the local band The Subs, who perform at the Dockside Grill in West Covina every other weekend. They're a trio who have their chops together and pull off some amazing performances with the little acoustic stuff they have. I think their secret is good harmonies, plus plenty of happy attitude.

In rotation this week: Chthonic, Bluebeard, Poison, Slayer, Beatallica, Joe Walla Band, Moto Human, Tribe of Gypsies and 69 Eyes (I just can't get enough of them!)

This week take time to just breathe. Last weekend I learned the importance of slowing down and listening to your body. It felt good to stretch so that I could feel each muscle, every rib; each part of my spine move. It was great to really work up a sweat and get my heart rate up. It was soothing to cool down slowly and relax every part of my body. And then lay prone, just breathing, not thinking about anything, just feeling my body and listening to it-- what felt good, what part seemed a little sore, which part might need a little more work. If you can't do much, at least take the time for a good stretch ... and breathe....
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: