Friday, July 10, 2009

End o' week musings


Dunno 'bout you, but my week seemed a little short... Maybe it was all the fun I was having...

Friday was my work's holiday, so I was off. I began my day by having my blood drawn for my checkup next month and then picked up my mother for a trip to Target. It was weird, as I expected it to be really crowded, but it was actually a little on the empty side. I bought a casual dress made out of light sweatsuit material. It's gray and sleeveless with a hood and very, very comfortable.

In the evening my friend Byron joined my mother and I at the 3rd of July celebration in Sierra Madre. The Sheds and Aluminum Marshmallow & the Age of Aquarius Horns performed. There was plenty of food and fun, as well as dancing. I got to socialize with many of my friends and one of them took me out onto the dance floor for quite a while. I had a blast!

Saturday had started out not looking very promising earlier this week, but Thursday night my friend Roc called to invite me to the Hollywood Bowl. The Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and John Fogarty were going to perform and there would be fireworks too. It was a lovely evening- just the right temperature and plenty of twinkling stars, plus some perky bats catching bugs in the sky.

The orchestra offered up selections from "West Side Story," Aaron Copland and more. Fogarty took over the second half of the concert with tunes from his CCR days, as well as his solo stuff and some new material too. Then he did a song with the orchestra. The performance concluded with a long Souza patriotic march and fireworks.
It was very good. I recommend that if you have any plans to go to the Bowl this season, consider taking one of the shuttle buses from your local park n' ride. We did and believe me, it sure beat that crazy stacked parking. If you drive, you park where they tell you and the lot becomes one SOLID sea of cars. You can't leave until the guy in front of you can, who can't until the guy in front of him can, and so on... You could be sitting in your car for a good hour or so after the show.



Sunday mom joined me again for a trip to the AMC in West Covina where we met http://www.dabelly.com/ and San Gabriel Valley Newspaper Group http://www.sgvn.com/ movie critic Vernor Rodgers for "Ice Age." He and I saw the previous two films in the series together and just can't get enough of Scrat that little squirrel creature ever after an acorn. The movie was fun, although a little on the violent side. Maybe it's just me, as mom and Vernor didn't seem bothered, but I just don't care to see animals beating up on each other even if it's only a cartoon. A touch of it for the sake of a story... this was just a tad more than my taste.. Otherwise the film was good.





After the movie we went to BJ's at the Eastland Center in Covina for lunch. I just love those stuffed baked potatoes! I went with a chili half-potato and a wedge side salad- yum! I resisted drinking alcohol because I knew I was going to run some errands with my mom and opted for iced tea with lemon- refreshing!

Before we left the center my mother said she wanted to look in Ross, but didn't make it past Burlington. I've never been in that store before so it was interesting. My mom found a pair of pants that she was seeking-- ones with a tie top and won't need the hem turned up or cut. I chanced upon a yellow paisley-ish print blouse and couldn't resist. It's sleeveless with a false cross-over neckline and a "collar" that ties in a bow in the back. Adding to the glam, it boasts an attached necklace of silver and clear gold beads.

My Sunday ended with meeting my special guy and his son for a round of mini-golf. I did OK, but didn't win... at least I kept up with the kid lol! We decided to play a second round for ice cream and, you guessed it, I ended up having to treat. I didn't mind though because, well, it's ice cream-- you can't ever go wrong with ice cream...

Tuesday my friend Byron signed me, my special guy and his son into Disneyland for the day. Byron is a photographer there and loves his job. It was very crowded, but the wait for most of the rides was surprisingly not too long. We went on most of the biggies~ Pirates of the Carribean, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, plus favorites like Star Tours and the Tiki Room. We also checked out Innoventions and caught the Jedi Training Academy, Fantasmic and the fireworks.

The funniest part of the day was Splash Mountain. I ended up in the front of our "log" and by the end of the ride I might as well had been swimming in my clothes. The only part of me that was dry was my shoes and socks (good thing). Still it was warm, so I dried out fairly fast.
We stayed at Disneyland until it closed at midnight. It was such a wonderful day that I didn't want it to end. (P.S. Those singing flowers in the Tiki Room are almost creepy, huh?)

This week I interviewed music publisher Jay Warner about his book on The Prisonaires, "Just Walkin' in the Rain," country artist Grant Langston and dance/pop vocalist Erika Jayne.


This Sunday I am planning to go to the Venice Vintage Motorcycle Rally. My Triumph is still in pieces, as the refurbish project was put on hold when my brother got married this year, so I won't be riding it there obviously. I plan to talk to people to get ideas of how I can get my Triumph back on the road soon and also enjoy all the bikes. Here's the info:

Venice Vintage Motorcycle Rally
11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, July 12
602 Venice Blvd. at Abbot Kinney
Venice, 90291
Free
Vintage ride at 9 a.m. All motorcycles are welcome. There will also be a judged show with awards, a photo exhibit, barbeque, a beer garden, raffles and more. $5 for judging and select parking. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Venice.

Almost creepy next week is really quiet for me, aside for some interviews and my dental checkup. Oh, I will also be rehearsing for my Almase Arabesque performance at the Music Showcase 7:30 p.m. July 18 at Tex Mex Grill in Glendora. It's free and there is a full menu, so mark your calendar and watch here for more details.


In rotation this week: Judas Priest, Neal Morse, Cycle of Pain, Calaveras, "Eddie Money's Two Tickets to Paradise- the Musical" and Lacuna Coil.




Photos we got 'em: A smattering of pet pics sent to me by Web-happy friends~ enjoy!







Thought o' the week: Make your own happiness. Even though I didn't have any 4th of July weekend plans originally, I had already decided that I would find something fun to do even if it simply meant making a new dress. It was almost like magic that I was invited to fill the three days with adventures... but if it hadn't happened, I would have resolved to still make the most of the time and find some fun along the way.

I've always been this way. I don't sit home and wait for the phone to ring and I'm definitely not afraid to go somewhere by myself. The funny thing is that often when I do go out alone I run into someone I know and we end up hanging out together or I make a great new friend. It's your choice-- you can be miserable or happy. Life is short, so think hard before you decide.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie




















No comments: