Friday, July 17, 2009

End o' week musings





I just took a deep breath and realized again that it's finally Friday.. guess I need more coffee! Or maybe a nice, tall martini lol!


The highlight of my weekend was my trip to the Venice Vintage Motorcycle Show. My Triumph is still in many parts in my brother's shed right now, unfortunately, but I compensated by putting the top down on my convertible. Hey, ya gotta get the wind in your face somehow!


I was amazed by the amount and diversity of bikes at the event. The parking lot was full and bikes of all kinds were along the curb in a row almost three blocks long. There was everything- 1930 Indians, old Norton and BSAs, a yellow Trail Blazer, Harleys, Hondas, choppers, a Vespa scooter and of course Triumphs. Although it was a vintage-aimed show, people could enter any bike they wished for the $5 fee and Brady Walker and others running the event made sure there were enough categories in the contest so there was a fair chance of winning a prize.


Admission to view the bikes was free, but there were posters, t-shirts and other goodies for sale. Part of the proceeds from everything went to the Venice Boys and Girls Club. There was also barbecue, cupcakes and a beer area.


I got to meet Brady and see his very cool Triumph. It's a sweet ride that has been made sweeter by the cranking and charming of Gary Swan of Toad Town Racing in Mission Hills. Gary was very nice, as he took the time to talk to me about my bike, suggesting that I might want to change my very extended forks for a safer ride. He had some good ideas and I definitely am considering working with him on getting my bike back on the road, as my brother just doesn't seem to have the time to finish the project.


There were quite a few motorcycles that intrigued me at the show. I especially enjoyed seeing a chopper in process that looked a little on the rusty, bare-bones side, as it had no paint. You could tell what the owner was aiming for and it's going to be gorgeous. I also enjoyed meeting Brady's friend Thad. He had brought his friend's BSA to the show and shared its story with me.


The bike looks like something out of an old movie-- not glamorous, but well-traveled. It has metal "bags" and is mostly flat Army green and boasts a list of countries on its front fender showing where all it has been. It had been garaged by its owner, who is 75 years young, as he races some kind of car I don't remember now, and Thad had offered to get the bike going again and give it some TLC. He brought it to the show to share with everyone-- so cool!!

I must add that I also enjoyed Thad telling me about his lovely wife and how she enjoys riding on the back of his own bike while their 18 year old rides with them. What adventures they must have!

Brady told me that he is planning to put on a bike show every three months, so watch here for info on the next one. If you have any interest in motorcycles, you definitely want to attend.




The remainder of my week was filled with interviews with The Hard, Jewel and Bill Leverty (Firehouse guitarist talking about his new solo album) . Local band The Hard will be opening for the Smithereens at the Galaxy Concert Theatre in Santa Ana next weekend. They have been on hiatus for 21 years, so it's quite interesting. Singer/songwriter Jewel will be at the Hollywood Bowl next weekend, she was lovely and surprisingly funny-- we had a great chat. Watch for my stories at http://www.sgvn.com/ and if you visit today, you can read my story about the Nigel Dupree Band.

Yesterday I also went to see the "Noah's Ark: Two by Two" exhibit at the Folk Tree in Pasadena. Local artists, as well as ones from around the world, are displaying their interpretations on the ark story and its denizens in a range of media. Beautiful, beautiful items and all for sale.

I ended my day by meeting Ben McGinty of the Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena for dinner. We had a nice long talk about all sorts of things and the food was good too. We ended our visit by spliting a dish of chocolate ice cream- yum!

This weekend I will be performing this weekend with my swords and my belly dance partner Zaynah. Here's the details:
Talent Showcase
hosted by Mark Moran
7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 18
No cover, full menu
Tex Mex Grill
2256 Route 66
Glendora

Please come up and say hello if you attend... and you should- it's going to be fun!
My mother asked me to take her to see the new Harry Potter movie Sunday. I'll admit it's not really my thing, but hey, two hours in air conditioning while being entertained isn't a bad deal, especially if you can catch the $6 matinee.
In rotation this week: Lacuna Coil, Judas Priest, Grant Langston, Ziggy Marley, Jewel, Stellastarr, Hsu*Nami and The Dear Hunter.

Photos we got 'em: Here's my Triumph again, freshly washed, before my brother and I broke it down for its ever-ongoing restoration project (hey, Gary, if you see this tell me what you suggest) and some cute animal photos as usual.
Thought o' the week: Be tactful. I had a minor altercation with a friend this week and I was very careful to not let things get catty. I was upset over my friend's attitude toward something important we were working on and wanted to make sure they new. I tried to keep my voice even, my points clear and not get nasty or off the topic. There was a point where my friend started to go in a bad direction, but I took a breath, thought about what to say and brought things back into focus.

The result was a good, if slightly warm, but not heated, discussion of the problem we were having. To be honest, I will have to wait and see if my opinion and desires make any difference in the situation, but our friendship is still intact. It is better to let people know if something is bothering you than for you to keep "biting it" and end up harboring resentment that will eventually lead to a bigger problem. The trick for me has been to try my talk out loud by myself first, stating my points and trying to make my case clear without anger or blame. This has been quite effective over the years and has circumvented any big arguements by making it a simple discussion instead.

Next time you're ticked, stop, take a breath and think about what you are going to say. Also try to consider the other person's point of view and be open to what they have to say, as it may make a big difference in the situation, especially if they have neglected to tell you something important about the topic. Later, when all is said and done, take a walk and clear your mind.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: