Friday, February 5, 2010

End o' week musings





It's raining again, but not really well... it's just sorta drizzling right now. Wish it would just get it over with so I can get back to cruising with the top down in the car in our California winter!



Last weekend I worked hard. On Saturday I did a ton of sewing projects for my friend Carin, which ranged from making curtains for her pool shack to fixing the zipper on her car tent. Of course I was rewarded monetarily, but that wasn't as nice as what I think is the real reward- spending time with my friends, enjoying a wonderful Italian meal with nice wine, followed by smoking cigars while taking a long soak in the hot tub under the stars. Yeah, she spoils me... but I'll do just about anything for her in return because that's what friends do.


Sunday I met Byron for breakfast and he followed me back to my place. My friend Andrew was coming over and he wanted to see him too. I gave Andrew my old computer and printer, plus my desk and chair. He's in college and really needs something to write his papers on and be able to do research on the Internet.

In return, Andrew agreed to build a shelf/bookcase for me. I was a good thing Byron was there, as he ended up helping with the construction, which left me free to do other household things that I needed to do. I'm planning to turn what was my productivity corner into my mini-fabric corner, where I can stash all my sewing stuff so I can see what all I have before embarking on new projects. I'll still sew in the kitchen because the light is better, but it will make my place much neater and more efficient.


Monday was super cool. I went to Los Angeles Children's Hospital to meet Dr. Chester Koh, who is leading the pediatric robotic surgery program there. A DaVinci training machine was on site and I was invited to give it a go. It was absolutely amazing! I sat at the machine and manipulated objects on a table behind me, as the coach instructed. I picked it up very quickly and now fully understand how useful this machine is for surgery, especially for very, tiny things.

Not ready to leave my journalism gig, but perhaps there's an opportunity for me in the future?? Lol! I'm sure I'd need a TON more training and a degree or two before they'd let me near the insides of one of their precious little patients.


The rest of my week was filled with the usual interviews and necessary stuff- grocery shopping, dance class, etc. And one nice thing- meeting my friends at Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs for the first Wednesday of the month buffet. Good conversation, yummy food...

Tomorrow I am making chocolates with my mother and, if it's not pouring out, we plan to go to the Zombie Walk and "Zombies in Love" exhibit at Gallery Nucleus in Alhambra. Don't miss the fun! Get all the details at http://www.gallerynucleus.com/

Sunday I will be going to Disneyland with Carin, her niece and Byron. Carin and I have a Super Bowl Sunday tradition of going to a theme park (because it's less crowded) and leaving her hubby Tom at home in charge of taping the commercials. We plan to soak in the hot tub and watch the video when we get back.

Oooo, now I've shared my secret... Don't all of you go to Disneyland and spoil our fun!! I don't want to be in long lines all day.... You really, really need to watch the Super Bowl when it's on because, well, it will be the watercooler talk Monday... yeah, that's right....

If you have an ambition to be like me or just would like to meet me- I've got something for you!
Pasadena Doo Dah Parade Queen Tryouts!
The American Legion Bar
Saturday, February 13
179 N. Vinedo St. in Pasadena
Cross street is Colorado Blvd.
(626) 792-9938

2:00 pm – Doors Open to All
($5 cover to Legion’s charity; 1st 20 queen hopefuls to arrive are free)

3:00 pm – Queen Tryouts!

Trying out? please call us at 626-590-1134 we will answer your questions and give you tips. Open to everyone and we mean it! All invited and all are encouraged to dress randomly. Each Queen Hopeful will have a few minutes to WOW the Judges. Microphone and boom box provided. Be ready to show us and tell us why YOU should be Queen!

The first 20 Queen Hopefuls to arrive get in FREE!

Featuring: Horses on Astroturf before and during tryouts, The Legendary, Snotty Scotty and the Hankies post Queen Crowning! 2009 Queen Skittles, Former Queens, Mickie, Tequila, Kavita, Sabrina Diva, Mercy, Saphira and Saphrona, Queen Sue, also the Ref, Peculiar Judges, Andrew Duke of Doo Dah, Prizes, Cheap drinks, Affordable Hot Food, Smoking Patio, Pool and Big Screen TV!

33rd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade!
May 1, 2010 (MayDay)

Entry Forms and information to be found on the website: http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/


I'll be there in proper regal attire and a dirty martini in hand.... Don't be shy, come out and try your talent or just watch the festivities... don't hesistate to come over and say hello to me too!


In rotation this week: Age of Evil, Orange Sky, Joan Baez and another listen through of the compilation discs from last week.



Photos we got 'em: A very cute groundhog I found on the Web (happy belated groundhog's day!) and some of the usual suspects.



Thought o' the week: It's just liquid sunshine. That's what I keep telling myself every time it rains. All the clouds and dullness have been getting me down, plus my back has been a bit out of sorts this week (probably from my working weekend). I've been working out dutifully, doing my yoga and my back exercises, plus using the heat and ice method of fixing sore spots. My back is getting better slowly...

Back to the ucky days. I miss my sunshine. The dark days make me feel like staying home, curling up on the couch with cocoa and a good book or bad TV and just hiding out from the world. I intend to fight off these sleepy thoughts by focusing on my interesting work, tomorrow it will be cheery chocolates and creepy zombies and so on...

I also combat the depressing weather by donning something that makes me feel good. I wear comfy, fun clothes, perky earrings and get a little crazy for the office. For example today I'm wearing a Betty Boop t-shirt with her as a rocker playing guitar, jeans, my fur-inside boots and skull and crossbone earrings, plus I have my band patch sweatjacket. Topping this off, I had a cup of choffee this morning (hot chocolate mixed with coffee). Yes, all's right with my world.





So what am I getting at? When you cannot control what's getting you down, find another way to cope and put some happiness back in your world. Afterall, your smile is your umbrella!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: