Friday, January 6, 2012

End o' Week Musings












Oh yeah, do I know how to celebrate things!









On Thursday, the 29th, I went to Norm's for lunch with my work friends Karen and Linda. I opted for an evil breakfast-served-all-day item, hashbrowns loaded with bacon, sourcream, salsa and other goodies, sided by two eggs. Yum! My dining companions chose other entrees and then whined that they should have had what I ordered, so there's my big tip for the week... BTW I passed on dinner that night.





Friday my special guy and his son picked me up for an afternoon of mini golf. I did pretty well. My guy claims we tied, but I really think I beat him... you know how hard that can be for some men to take. It was a fun game and his son did quite well too-- he's getting to be quite the mini golfer. After our greens (do they call the mini golf course greens too? Or perhaps volcano heaven?), we went for pizza, which rounded our outing out nicely.




Saturday, my friend and fellow Danse Macabre member Linda invited me to Knott's. We did everything different than my usual, as we caught a lot of the shows and went on the "quiet" rides, like the train and the stagecoach. We saw "A Christmas Carol" at the Birdcage Theatre (the same place Steve Martin got his start) and it was pretty amazing. It's not that the play was that different, it was the actors. There were kids crying and chatting inside and you could hear the train, rollercoasters and people screaming outside and still the actors were perfect! They are all definitely paying their dues on their way to deserved stardom.







We also posed for an old-time photo. For this, we decided to be outlaws. Linda put on a big duster coat, while I went for the frontier coat and skirt. We gave the photographer a little grief when he seemed slow about giving us the rifles and guns we needed to complete the scene and then complied with all his modeling orders.






We also went on the carousel. I wanted to ride one of the cats holding fish in their mouths, but a little girl got there the same time, so I let her take the creature. Linda and I decided that the roosters looked fun and climbed on up with a lot of laughter. We also made a few off-color jokes about it, but I'll leave that to your imagination.







Oooo and we also both got henna tattoos. Linda got an elaborate pattern with a skull and holly vines along the inside of her arm, while I went for a simple lotus blossom on the inside of my wrist. I picked the opening lotus because it represents elightenment and I definitely could use a little more of that, plus it seemed appropriate for a new year.







It was a really terrific day and a neat way to ring in the new year. We got back to my place just before 8 p.m. I had an opportunity to go to a party and several bands I know were playing at various clubs, but I was pooped. I soaked in the tub, put on my jammies and vegged in front of the TV. At 11:30 p.m. I tuned into Dick Clark and toasted with him with a glass of wine at midnight.





Sunday morning I was out the door to meet Vernor for "The Adventures of Tin Tin" at Ontario Mills. It was a cute movie with lots of action. I'm glad we didn't go to the 3-D version, as I think all the bouncing about, ocean waves and cliff overhangs would have made me feel ill. The storyline was decent and the art was fantastic-- I kept wondering if some of the scenery was real rather than illustrated.








The best part, of course, was the dog Snowy. He was typical terrier and reminded me so much of my little Atticus-- he would have been great in the role. The artists and writers had the terrier attitude and movements down perfect- tenancity, energy and smarts.








You can read Vernor's movie reviews in his column Tickets Please at http://www.dabelly.com/ or in Aisle Seat at http://www.sgvn.com/




After the movie, we went to the newly opened Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor in Rancho Cucamonga. We had to wait nearly an hour for a seat, but it was worth it. The menu seems the same as it was when we went there when I was a kid, except for the prices of course. There were a few more entree items, but the Zoo, Gold Rush and other ice cream favorites were still there. Vernor and I decided to be good. We both got the half-sandwich, salad (or soup) and handful of fries dish with an ice tea and then split a Black and White (chocolate and vanilla ice cream topped with hot fudge, marshmallow sauce, nuts, whipped cream and a cherry-- I got the cherry!).





It was loud and crazy in the restaurant with sirens going and bells clanging, people singing and dancing and yelling and the player piano doing its thing. Awww.... sweet memories. It was a lot of fun to visit, but I won't be going there every week, as it's a little overwhelming. Still, I definitely want to go there again soon.




Monday was the New Year's Day holiday. I slept in because Louise was coming over at noon to nibble, sip wine and watch the Rose Parade on the TV. We were terrific commentators, asking questions such as "which shoes are best for walking the parade route" and "where do they get all the feathers," plus being snarky as in "are they going to make that horse walk sideways for the entire parade" and "why is it the important thing on the float never works for the cameras." Too bad we weren't on the radio or TV... maybe we'll get a webcast next year ha ha ha!




So now it's all things back to normal with interviewing and writing, band practices and other must-dos. This weekend my calendar includes going to A Noise Within in Pasadena to see "Noises Off," maybe going to the Dickens Festival in Riverside (it's free) and trying to get to the Los Angeles Fashion District for some fabric and notions shopping. Just a couple of things, right? I love keeping busy!




In rotation this week: Five Finger Death Punch, Gill Oyola, Taylor Swift, Orange Sky and Dio.






Photos we got 'em: All taken with my cell phone- the cast of "A Christmas Carol" at Knott's, Linda riding the rooster on the carousel and me hanging out with the train robber (love those bad boys!) and then a pic of Vernor with the Lorax at the movie theater.





Thought o' the week: No excuses. That's what Tracy with the Lighten Up SGV ( http://www.lightenupsgv.com/ ) program said during our interview this morning. The program is officially launching Jan. 28 with lots of free classes, talks, screenings and events to get you moving. The goal is to lower the obesity rate in the San Gabriel Valley and strive for better health throughout the community.




During our chat, Tracy shared that she's a runner. She has a few tricks to get her motivated on those days she would rather sit on the couch, but her best tool is her german shepard Xavier. The pup gives Tracy "the look" and she knows it's time to grab the leash and get out the door.




I keep my shoes and exercise clothes in view in my bedroom so when I get home they nag me to get moving. I do a little workout every morning when I get up to get my back warmed for the day, as well as the rest of my body and almost every evening I walk and climb up and down the stairs at a closed business by my house. Several evenings I add in a workout with weights, my ball and other tools for various exercises and stretches and other times I dance, whether it's in a class or around the living room.




In SoCal, we're blessed with pretty good weather throughout the year, so it's easy to find things to do outside. If you're stuck indoors, you can get creative and build up your own "gym" like me, join a real gym or find an exercise class, dance group or other activity.






Don't focus on losing weight or building big muscles, rather set your goal on getting healthy and feeling better. If you exercise regularly you will get sick less often, have more energy overall and even be happier, as it helps your immune system and fights depression too. Start small and go from there- a walk around the block can lead to a marathon if you like. It's up to you.









Tracy also added that while it's important to exercise and get healthy for yourself, you should also think about how it will impact your family and your community. Less doctor visits, lower health care costs, more good days to enjoy life and so on.






Get off the couch, no excuses and




Keep on rockin'

Mickie

1 comment:

Bobby Boy said...

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour! I remember the one on Rosemead just south of Valley Blvd. "Roses are red, violets are blue/Farrell's presents the Fabulous Zoo". On more than one occasion I had a Trough and "made a pig of myself at Farrell's". Sooooeeee!