Pacific Rose Society will hold its annual rose auction on Saturday, February 4th at the Los Angeles County Arboretum (301 North Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, CA 91007; www.arboretum.org )
This annual event will start at 10:00 a.m. with a silent auction of rare and hard-to-find roses. These are one of a kind roses --- most of which are no longer available commercially.
At 12:00 noon, the live auction will start. These are, for the most part, field grown bare root roses and have been donated by Star Roses, David Austin Roses, Certified Roses and Weeks Roses.
One of the highlights will be the auctioning of the very rare and exciting new Hybrid Tea ‘Pacific Celebration’. This fabulous new rose from Frank Strickland will surely be in high demand among exhibitors due to its perfect form and breathtaking beauty.
Among the other highlights of the live auction, will be the opportunity to obtain some exciting new varieties from Weeks Roses.
· Among them are ‘Bull’s Eye’ and stunning new shrub. Ivory semi-double blossoms with a cranberry center;
· ‘Diamond Eyes’ and new black-purple miniature with a white ‘eye’;
· ‘Love Song’, a lovely ruffled lavender floribunda;
· ‘Oh My!’ a breathtaking red floribunda that produces a stunning display of ruffled red blossoms in lovely clusters;
· ‘Sparkle & Shine’ a dramatic yellow floribunda that will be a standout in any landscape;
· ‘Twilight Zone’ and scrumptious deep velvet purple grandiflora with old-fashioned very double flowers with an intense Spice – clove and lemony fragrance;
· ‘Whimsy’ and painted pink and white miniature producing a lovely display of very double and formal blossoms;
· and finally ‘Yabba Dabba Doo’ a mild-mannered shrub with masses of orangey pink flowers with a yellow ‘eye’.
People who register and participate in the auction will be treated to a potluck lunch that will begin at 11:30 a.m.
Entrance to the auction is no charge, but participants will need to pay for admission to the arboretum at the main entrance.