Friday, November 5, 2010

End o' Week Musings

My busy week is winding down....


Last Saturday my big fun was dancing and playing percussion in Evergreen Cemetery in Riverside as part of Danse Macabre. There was a good crowd and lots of kids. The best moment came in between sets when I was sitting on the lawn near the cemetery fence. A tiny girl on the other side of the fence walked over to me.

"You're scary," she said.

"Yes, but it's fun," I replied.

"I'm having fun, but it's still scary," she said with a little smile.

She took my hand through the fence and gave it a squeeze. Just too cute!



After we finished our sets, we were free to wander the rest of the event. Joanne, who plays violin for Danse Macabre, and I listened to the rock band, then checked out the display of vintage hearses. We also caught a bit of the Dixieland jazz group. Then we drove home with the top down on my car!

Sunday, my mom and I went to Howeeduzzit Gallery in Alhambra to see the gourd and glass exhibit. Wow! The work on display was simply amazing. The show will be up through November, but you'll have to make an appointment to see it now. It's worth it for sure.

I finished my Halloween revelry by heading out to Damon's in Glendale for Erica Valentine's special show. Erica is the reigning Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade Queen and a wonderful entertainer. Erica sang, played guitar, deejayed, joked with the crowd and so on. I danced two sets with my swords and got a great response.. I also drank a mai tai, the restaurant's speciality, and definitely recommend it.


Damon's is really cool-- it's decorated in kitchy Hawaiian with lots of tables and booths, plus a large bar area. I plan to go back there for dinner some time when I'm not performing. Erica Valentine hosts karaoke at Damon's 10 p.m. every Saturday. No cover, good drinks and (I hear) great food!




Monday I went to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena to interview Brian Dario. He is a gifted painter with a unique perspective. His works range from figurative to abstract, but all hold deep meanings and he is more than happy to explain them if you like. Brian is the featured artist for the venue's upcoming Group Show Dec. 2-5. This will be the final show for the gallery, so you definitely should mark your calendar.



It was "Cheap Bastard Night" at Maggie's in Santa Fe Springs Wednesday, so you know where I was. For the price of a drink, you can stuff yourself silly with a wondrous buffet spread. There were five of us that night- Carin, Tom, Byron, Louise and myself. I didn't overdo the eats, but I had a little nibble of everything interesting. After our feast and chat, we all went back to Carin and Tom's for a nice soak in the hot tub.... yes, and you know already... martinis (and other sips) and cigars.


Last night we finally finished learning the choreography for our Samoan/Tahitian dance, "Tatuki," in my Polynesian and Tahitian dance class. It's a really fun number that moves very fast with lots of changes and a few repeats.


The coming week offers lots of adventures... and decisions. I'm considering catching Chico's Bail Bonds at Arcadia Blues Club Saturday night. It's the band's CD release party, so it will be a good time. I have a Danse Macabre rehearsal and the 35th anniversary of Sanrio (think Hello Kitty) party too. Oooo and Terrible Things will be at the Glasshouse in Pomona next Friday. Woo hoo!

In rotation this week: Van Helsing's Curse, music from "The X-Files," The Aggrolites, Chairlift, David Olney and Terrible Things.


Photos we got 'em: A shot of Danse Macabre at the cemetary (I'm the one sitting with the sword) and couple of pet photos that amused me.


Thought o' the week: Be supportive. I am learning to be a pillar of strength this week.

My mom has been very ill, so I took her a care package with medicine the pharmacist recommended, Gatorade, animal cookies, books and other little things. I've also been checking on her every day. Last night she was finally beginning to look and act like her usual self- thank goodness!


Yesterday I learned that there will be another round of layoffs at my work comprised of several departments (not mine) due to plans to consolidate at another location. More than 40 people will be hitting the wants ads in the not so distant future... My heart goes out to them, as this is an awful time to be looking for work.

I am making an effort to be positive and upbeat, as well as sympathetic, even though I feel like crying. There's always plenty of time to cry if you really need to, but you shouldn't do it in front of someone who is already suffering. They need you to be strong and supportive, they don't need to be comforting you when they're overwhelmed. Take a deep breath and get through it with them, hold them up, make them realize that they are still a vital, useful person with a lot to offer to the world. It may be your turn to need them one day.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie






No comments: