Friday, June 27, 2008

End o' week musings

Yes, I know I've been remiss, but I was covering the Warped Tour last Friday and am still catching up. It was a great concert with tons of cool bands despite the searing heat. I kept going by enjoying lots of frozen lemonade and hanging out under the tents when I could. My favorite acts were Beat Union, The Briggs, The Aggrolites, HorrorPops, Devil Wears Prada, Broadway Calls, Story of the Year, Pennywise, Norma Jean, Street Dogs and Civet.

On Saturday I joined the Pasadena History Museum and the Mout Lowe Preservation Society for a hike to the Mount Lowe Railway. The spot nestled in the mountains above Pasadena was once a resort visited by people of all ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds. Its hotels and dance hall are long gone, but the foundations remain, as do parts of the zoo, picnic areas and train platform. Very intriguing!

Monday found me in Bobbie Oliver's comedy class at the Ice House in Pasadena. I am working on a story about what it's like to do standup comedy and had to present an act. The best part was that I got some laughs... at the right times! I'll be doing a set at the Joke Gym in Arcadia in August.

Wednesday was very busy- lots of interviews and assignments. Among the most interesting was a chat with actor Chad Allen about his role in the play "Looped" opening at the Pasadena Playhouse in a couple of weeks. In the evening I attended a Mekhong tasting. Mekhong is a rum from Thailand and is unlike any rum I have ever sampled. It mixes very well and can be used to create some innovative drinks, but honestly I liked it straight just fine. You can find it in the U.S. in Thai restaurants and some liquor retailers.

Last night I danced during Club Flotsam at Mr. T's Bowl in Highland Park. The crowd was amazing! They applauded, ooohed and aaahed and had a great time with me and my swords.

I will be dancing again on Sunday with my partner Zaynah, here's the scoop:
Punk Raqs
3-7 p.m. Sunday, June 29
Almase Arabesque performs at 4:15 p.m.
Cal State San Bernardino
5500 University
San Bernardino

Other excitement includes Monday off, which I will spend doing something fun with my mother- the beach, Chinatown, the mall, whatever she chooses! And on Tuesday I will be taking a magic lesson with Wayne Kawamoto. Boy, I just love being busy!

Photos I got 'em: Better late than never I have some photos from our performance at Cairo Caravan at Santa Anita Park earlier this month. They were taken by Richard Lowe, visit http://www.renaissancefaire.net/ for more of his good stuff!
In rotation this week: Wreck N Sow, Robert Clune & the Peacemakers, Beat Union, Ours, The Randies, Tribe of Gypsies and Lacuna Coil.

Thought of the week: Keep positive. That's what I'm telling myself. Today I got to work and my car refused to go into park. I could turn it off, but I couldn't take the key out. I was in trouble. I calmly called my co-worker (from the parking lot lol!), told her what was up and drove back past my house to my mechanic. I'm at work now (obviously) waiting to hear what's up. I hope it's something simple and cheap... I think I did pretty well with this situation- I didn't get mad or swear, I resigned myself to an "Oh well, that's weird" and am trying to think happy thoughts. I haven't had any problems with my car since I've had it, so I can't complain... Here's to a better weekend!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie



No comments: