Internationally renowned music sensation Thievery Corporation this week launches the Outernational Music festival, and will highlight the work of the UN World Food Program (WFP).
"Hunger is something basic, really elemental, that transcends boundaries around the world," says Thievery's Rob Garza, who has visited WFP operational sites in Sudan, Kenya and Nepal since the group held its first fundraiser for WFP after the 2004 Asian tsunami. "Conquering it is essential if we are going to make meaningful human progress in health, education and economic development."
More than 850 million people are chronically hungry, going to bed unsure of their next meal. Hunger is the world's No. 1 public health threat – killing more people than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. An estimated 25,000 people – two-thirds of them children – die each day of hunger and related ailments. WFP will be on site to educate concert-goers about hunger, the devastating impact of the global food crisis on the world's poorest citizens, and the mounting challenges of feeding more than 90 million of the hungry poor each year in 80 of the least developed countries.
For more information, visit: www.wfp.org or join the fight against hunger by playing FreeRice.com.
Read more about WFP-Thievery partnership at : www.wfp.org/english/?ModuleID=141&Key=29
Outernational Festival Schedule:
• June 20 @ Greek Theatre, San Francisco (with Bebel Gilberto, Los Amigos Invisibles and Federico Aubele)
• June 21 @ Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas (with Gnarls Barkley and Bebel Gilberto)
• June 22 @ Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles (with Bebel Gilberto, Los Amigos Invisibles and Federico Aubele)
• June 24 @ Stubb's BBQ, Austin TX (with Ocote Soul Sounds)
• June 26 @ SummerStage, New York (with Bebel Gilberto, Turntables on the Hudson and Federico Aubele)
• June 28 @ Merriweather Pavilion, Washington, DC (with TV on the Radio, Ladytron, Turntables on the Hudson and Federico Aubele)