Friday, December 17, 2010

End o' Week Musings

I have been one busy bee this week!

Friday night I danced at the Arcadia Blues Club. My first foray with my swords was to the Bobby Bluehouse Band's version of "Feliz Navidad." It was a little weird to be shimmying to holiday music, but it worked and the crowd seemed to enjoy it.



I also danced during Joe Walla's set. It was extra fun because Joe came down from the stage to play his guitar solo just when I was about to roll across the floor. He stepped over me and stayed there, trapping me with his feet! I spent the bulk of his solo underneath him on my tummy, staying as still as possible so my swords didn't scratch his guitar.



Later in the set, Joe wandered through the club and played his guitar with whatever the crowd handed him- cell phone, cue ball, chess piece, one my swords, etc. He really can put on a show. You can find out where he is next by visiting http://www.joewalla.com/.


Saturday morning came early and I was off for "a day of adventure" with Carin, Tom and Meghan, plus Connie and Les. The six of us nibbled on sandwiches at Philippe's the Original in Los Angeles and then boarded the Esotouric bus for "Eastside Babylon." The crime tour took us through parts of Montebello, Whittier and East L.A., as our hosts told us stories of murder and other sordid crime.

We stopped at Brueger's Dairy for a coffeebreak, where I bought some eggnog, as it is said to be the best in the area. It was! Our outing ended with a trip to the carnie grave area at Evergreen Cemetery, which is the oldest cemetery in Los Angeles.

Esotouric is taking a little break, but will begin offering crime, literature, architectural and other tours mid-January. There's something for everyone at http://www.esotouric.com/


Sunday I ran a few errands and Monday I spent with my friend Byron. He had won tickets to Knott's, so we enjoyed the holiday decorations and the yummy chicken dinner. After a full day of wandering and riding, we went to Disneyland for employee night (Byron is a photographer at the Happiest Place on Earth). There we went of a few rides, but our main goal was to see the parade. We got "snowed" on while waiting for the parade to start and then enjoyed seeing our favorite characters and other winter fun things make their way down Main Street. I particularly liked the dancing giant gingerbread men, as the back of their heads wer flat and the edges of their costumes were browned like they just popped out the oven.




I was at home loafing on Tuesday, although I did get my bills paid and went out for a walk.


Last night, my editor and I went to see "Amahl & the Night Visitors" at Pasadena Playhouse. Intimate Opera sure knows how to put on a show-- all of the cast were top notch! Suzanna Guzman played Mother and her voice was superb, plus she was very believable.


One of the other highlights of the evening was running into Ann Erdman, Pasadena's public information officer. She looked terrific in a glittery leopard print top and was all smiles. I adore Ann and you should like her too, as she supplies a lot of good Pasadena tidbits for my blog.


Tonight I'm going to eat tamales with my mom. A co-worker's wife and daughter make different types of tamales and sell them, so I couldn't resist a chance to enjoy a holiday tradition. I'm not sure if my mom has had them before... this could be very interesting.

Sunday I am going to see Philm and Halford at the Grove in Anaheim. I'm really excited, as they are both awesome bands, plus all-around nice guys.


In rotation this week: "A Very Metal Christmas," Joe Walla, The Royal Guardsmen and a few other assorted things.

Photos we got 'em: One cute animal photo from the Web and two pix of me and Joe Walla sent to me by Mike.


Thought o' the Week: Encourage friendship. Several weeks ago my mother said that she would like me to cook her dinner for Christmas in lieu of presents. I wasn't totally thrilled, but I decided to make it work, although I still have some gifts for her.


Then when we were out on our walk Wednesday, mom said that her friends had invited her to a Christmas dinner party. I was welcome to join them, but it would be mainly seniors chatting and watching movies. I told my mom to go ahead and join the fun, but I'd pass. She protested a littled, so I insisted that it would be nice to have a day alone with nothing to do-- I'll be able to lounge in my pjs all day if I want.



Mom's going to the party. This means I will be alone on Christmas and it really is OK with me. When my dad was alive, my mom mostly stayed home and had only a few friends. It didn't help that they moved a lot. Today, my mom has a nice circle of friends and I want to see her enjoying socializing and getting out the door as much as possible. This will be a fun day for her and she deserves it.


Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little to benefit someone else, especially if it will impact them longterm. It's good for my mom to have her independence and her own life, as my brother and I can't always be there for her. Maybe you don't have the same situation, so then I'll encourage you to meet someone new this week and keep the friendship ball rolling.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

2 comments:

pasadenapio said...

It was nice seeing you, too! It was a marvelous performance.

Bobby Boy said...

Hi Mickie!

That's a neat photo of Joe playing his guitar with your sword for a slide. I have a pair of CD's from Columbia: "The Slide Guitar: Bottles, Knives and Steel." Looks like there should be a Vol. 3 adding "and Swords" to the title. There's a video on YouTube showing Adam Marsland's Chaos Band with Evie featured on "Don't Look Back, Don't Look Down". It was taped about 2 years ago in Tarzana and at the end, Evie closes with a guitar lick that evokes the old-time blues sound of Elmore James and other slide artists. One of the prize records in my collection is Meteor 5000, "I Believe" by Mr. James.