Friday, April 23, 2010

End o' week musings

It hasn't been a longer week than normal-- I looked on the calendar... but it sure seems that way.










Last Friday I caught Ken Waldman at Whittier College. It was a very intimate show and my favorite fiddling poet shared - and gave - the stage to Tom and Patrick Sauber, who kept the old-time tunes flowing. It was a really great performance by all.





Saturday I got up early and went to my friends' home in Bellflower to pick up some boxes they saved for me. From there I trekked to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena for phase two of float building. Artist Dave Lovejoy and I worked until around 7 p.m. with various people coming and going to help with this and that. The float looked almost done by the end of the day!


My biggest excitement this week was going to Mother Plucker Feather Company in Los Angeles Tuesday. Production manager Lelan Berner asked me to come in with my dress for the Doo Dah Parade so we could better pick out the embellishment feathers. To my surprise, Lelan asked if I would be willing to leave my dress so she could work her magic on it! Of course I did, who am I to turn down the talents of an Emmy Award-winning costume designer?




Now I'll admit that I'm little nervous about what she plans to do with my dress, as in a way I don't feel worthy of her efforts. But the parade is a charity event and Lelan has the freedom to do as she wishes, rather than what a client dictates. I know that the dress will be fantastic!





Otherwise my week has been its usual blend of interviews and writing and looking for other story opportunities.



Tomorrow I will be going back to the gallery again to finish up the float as much as possible. We will leave the little details, like tinsel, for the night before the parade. If you're interested in coming out to help, we will be there noon-5 p.m. 2475 N. Lake Ave., Altadena. The cross street is Mariposa and the gallery is next door to Rancho Bar.






Entries are still being accepted for the Doo Dah Parade if you'd like to do your own thing. For information visit http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/




In rotation this week: Rob Zombie, Social Code, Hockey, Elton John, Dirty Heads and Crowfoot.



Photos we got 'em: Pet pics from the Web and some Doo Dah photos to get you inspired, including one of 33rd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade Queen Erica Valentine.








Thought o' the week: Stay strong. It's been a very difficult few weeks in my life and I've been really struggling with trying to keep positive and deal with everything. I know that all the issues are not that different from what other people have to handle, but it's just so much all at the same time and that makes it hard.


Today my goal is to find focus and clarity and try to make the best of what I have going for me and find a way to not let all the issues drag me down. I have to stay strong when I feel the most weak. I have to stay brave when I am afraid. I have to keep positive when I feel the world crashing in. Life goes on~ with or without you.


Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: