Friday, August 6, 2010

End o' Week Musings

I've been busy... that's a good thing!

Saturday I trekked out to San Bernardino for my friend Jules' birthday party. Lots of good food and good conversation! The highlight for me, however, was seeing his wife Rose all smiles. She's been very, very ill and it was nice to see her feeling quite a bit better. The couple are entertainment writers in addition to their day jobs and you can find their monthly column, B Notes, at http://www.dabelly.com/


In the evening I went to Crazy Horse in West Covina to see Los Fabulocos featuring Kid Ramos. The band was hot and the crowd didn't hesistate in getting on the dance floor. I danced a little bit, but mostly enjoyed sitting back, relaxing and watching everyone else work up a sweat. If you haven't seen Los Fabulocos, you should check them out~ they take CaliMex to 11!


Sunday I joined SGVN movie mogul Vernor Rodgers for the latest "Cats and Dogs" flick. It was fun and has plenty of treats for adults. Don't go to it expecting to learn something new or discover the meaning of it all, go to it to enjoy the A/C, a comfy chair and a couple of hours of turning off your brain.



Monday was awesome. At 10 a.m. Boz Scaggs called me and we chatted about his writing, life and the upcoming tour with Dukes of September. It was quite an honor, as I was a huge fan of Boz as a teen and lost touch with him over the years. I'm pleased to report that he's still making albums and touring... but for more, you'll have to wait for my story at http://www.sgvn.com/ in September.


In the evening I went for my eye doctor appointment and alas, I will be wearing glasses full time. Darn computers! They sooo kill my eyes! My special guy is going to help me select my new specs.. you can't really see what they look like when you're trying them on lol! so you need a second opinion. Wish me luck!



The rest of my week has been busy and interesting, but not overly exciting. Tomorrow I am planning to go to Sierra Madre Sue's birthday luau at the American Legion in East Pasadena. Sunday I'm hoping to spend some time cuddling Cous the cat in a hammock and then lounging in the hot tub at my friends Carin and Tom's house.




Next week looks like a mixed bag of adventures, which suits me fine!




In rotation: Ancient Future, Sting, Foghat, DevilDriver, Pierce the Veil, Drowning Pool and Joe Walla.



Photos we got 'em: Just a few animal photos from the Web.


Thought o' the week: Expect change. You'd laugh because the idea for my banter just sparked a minute ago. A page designer and my editor have been discussing a column that could upset some people and debating on rewriting parts or just not letting it run in the paper. My comment is it's OK to edit it and the writer shouldn't get upset.


As a journalist, you quickly learn that your editor will change what you write, especially the phrases you think are some of your best. Now you can fight with them over it, but you'll soon realize that it's just not worth the effort most of the time, as your editor (if they're good like mine) works hard to hone your piece until it truly sparkles.




This same idea can be applied to many other things in life. Change is a part of life and you can either fight it or give way. You need to decide which is the better course and sometimes try to step back from the whole thing, take a deep breath and look it over as if it was someone else's problem and you're giving them advise on how to respond.




More often than not change is good. It's healthy to try new things. Besides adventure comes in many forms and we definitely can use a little more of that in our lives.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

2 comments:

Bob Davis said...

Regarding Boz Scaggs: A CD by him is one of the more recent additions to my collection. I mainly bought it for "Fly Like a Bird". I heard the song on the sound system at Panda Express in Monrovia, and of course the background music service doesn't "back announce", so it took a bit of detective work and help from my semi-pro musician son-in-law to find it. The Louisiana-style accordion just "sold" it to me. I could come up with a "squeezebox special", featuring the above song, Weird Al Yankovic (whom I have met), the Benny Moten Orchestra and Clifton Chenier. Two of my favorite Evie Sands songs have accordion in the mix, too. Amazing what will trigger a response, isn't it? (my mental jukebox is playing "Yoda", Weird Al's take on the Kinks' "Lola".)

Mickie said...

I'll have to check that song out! In my head this week, it's been tunes off the new Foghat album-- all really well done blues originals.

Keep on rockin'