Friday, April 22, 2011

End o' Week Musings









I'm a bundle of energy today!! Most of my spark is due to my upcoming weekend... but more on that later.










I spent last Friday at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. It was the educational day during which kids from all over are bussed in to experience living history. More that 7,000 children walked through the venue's doors, along with teachers and parents. We did three shows and the kids were great- they seemed to enjoy the music (and my swords) and even asked about our instruments.








I got home mid-afternoon, so my mom and I went to Claremont. I needed to go to the Folk Music Center for a wedding gift for some musician friends. We wandered around, stopping at Some Crust Bakery for apricot Danishes and a loaf of challa bread.




In the evening, I traipsed out to Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs to meet my friends Carin and Tom for dinner. The music (recorded and live) was pretty loud, so we couldn't really talk, but we did get to peek at the Ducks hockey game on the TV. Tom and I especially enjoyed the fighting ha ha ha! We each had salad or soup and shared the platter full of English nibbles. There was quite a bit leftover and my friends were sweet, telling me to take it home for my lunch the next day. I was armed with Tupperware, so I filled my plastic pot with a smile.







It was kind of funny the next day at the Ren Faire when, surrounded by a selection of traditional foods, I pulled out my English leftovers for lunch. And yes, my weekend dance card was filled with Faire adventures.








On Saturday, my group was asked to serenade diners at an on-site benefit for Austism Speaks. We played at each table and prepared to do a finale in the center of the gathering when Queen Elizabeth arrived (this would be Elizabeth I, but since I am supposedly living in that time I wouldn't know that). I curtsied and readied my swords. Queen Elizabeth looked surprised and uttered "Two swords?!" I smiled and the band began. We got a nice applause when we finished and were on our way leaving the queen to her audience.





I also had time to check on my alpaca friends. They had more than a haircut- they had poodle cuts! Fluffy forelegs and tails and hairdos looking like Alfalfa from "The Little Rascals" made them almost comical. But they seemed happy despite the day's heat-- the little pig in their pen area was busy taking dips in everyone's water buckets.




My mom and her friend had come out to Faire on Saturday as well, so I got a little time to walk around with them too. On Sunday, Carin and Tom came out and we split an ale. It was quite nice sitting in the shade with the lake and its busy birds on one side and the road with its costumed travelers on the other to entertain us.





Sunday was a big day for another reason, though, Ad Hoc Consort had a command performance for the queen in the late afternoon. My director asked me if I would be OK dancing on carpet and I laughed and told him, "Wait and see." We sat quietly while three other acts performed- two choral groups and a hurdy gurdy player. They were all very good.



My group played two numbers and I began to get nervous. It seems silly that I would get nervous about performing for the queen (who is really just another actress), but I did. You come to believe your part after a while, including your station in the shire's society. I took center stage with my swords and did my best, throwing in a nice roll across the carpet, which garnered a hearty applause and cheers. I also danced towards my band, bowing for them to thank and acknowledge them, as they're my family now. Finally the song ended and the place errupted in cheers and applause-- we had done a good job. Queen Elizabeth told our director that we were welcome back any time. I wasn't surprised because our musicians are very good.




I often brag about Ad Hoc Consort because it is a pretty smart group made up of professors, engineers, etc., who play for the sheer joy of it. They work hard on their music, striving to be professional and their best. Perhaps that's why they sound so good. I feel truly honored to be a part of them, with my humble percussion work-- I'm still learning, but they make me feel as important as each talented player.



This week wasn't as exciting as my weekend, but I did have a little fun. I interviewed Brandan of the band Anchored. He was very nice and is quite the family man. I'm looking forward to catching him on stage when Anchored opens for Black Label Society in May.









Tonight I will be joining my friends Kady, Jessica and Keith for the Prince concert at the Forum. This is going to be history!!! Prince puts on a great show, so I'm really looking forward to it. I will be back at Faire for the weekend. ... wonder what awaits me there and if it will top last week??




In rotation this week: Buddy Guy, Billy Hufsey, King Crimson and Meatloaf.




Photos we got 'em: Two cute pet pics from the Web, a photo of my co-worker Linda's birthday cake from our soiree yesterday (kudos to Kay for finding the decadent chocolate delight) and one of my favorite things about this time of year- a sugar egg diorama.



Thought o' the week: Renew, refresh. I was looking through my CD collection for the second time this week, trying to find a couple of albums I wanted to hear. I'm pretty good about alphabetizing them so I can find the artist I'm seeking... well, except for the two stacks on my floor which are a mishmosh. And that's my point. I need to really make an effort to go through my music collection and sort it down to what I really want and will listen to and give the rest to good homes or charity.



There is something about getting rid of excess stuff that makes you feel great. Part of it is in giving things to others who may need or enjoy them and part of it is just the result of being a little freer. You may be thinking of the spring cleaning thing, but it doesn't have to be spring-- it can be any time of the year.




You shouldn't hesistate clearing stuff out the minute you feel overwhelmed. It can be your music collection, clothes, shoes, art supplies, tools, almost anything. We all have a tendancy to have too much, almost as if we'll never have the chance to have that item again. My overall goal is to clear out a lot of my things done to what I really need and use. It's going to take time, but I've been doing it in little steps and haven't popped over from the panic of living without something I "absolutely need."



Make yourself feel renewed and refreshed by clearing out a spot in your home- it could be a kitchen drawer or your entire closet, you deserve it. And try to give things to others or charity rather than tossing them out- it makes the world a better place.



Happy Earth Day! Happy Spring! Happy, happy everything! and


Keep on rockin'

Mickie




















No comments: