Friday, March 15, 2013

End o' week musings

I sooo need the weekend this weekend... but I'd really like a lazy, nappy weekend which I'm not going to get.. sigh....


Last Friday I went to the Fox Theatre in Pomona to see The Donots. The German pop-punkers brought it and did not disappoint. Their show was packed with energy and good songs~ good enough to sate the bulk of the crowd who were waiting for headliners Flogging Molly.


I caught some of Flogging Molly and they were good, but my goal was to meet The Donots in person and mission accomplished. Lead singer Ingo swept me up in a huge hug and told me about his recent mini-vacation in between shows in Huntington Beach. We had a nice chat about the punk scene in Europe versus America and how it has changed over the past two decades.


Saturday and Sunday I spent at my Renaissance Faire workshops and band practices. And the time change didn't hit me until Monday evening... I was tired! I wish the powers that be would just pick a time and stick with it. All this back and forth even confuses the wild birds I feed.


Tuesday saw the opening of the Star-News Lounge in the redesigned lobby of the Pasadena Star-News office. The space boasts several computers free for the public to come in and use, plus a couch, table and chairs. People are encouraged to speak to the reporters and share information, concerns and more with the reporters and editors at the site.


The opening was nice. There was a wonderful array of food and lots of people from the community stopped by. I chatted with quite a few visitors and am excited to see how the lounge works out. I'm usually out in the field or at one of our other news offices so you probably won't get to see me. But if you're a blogger, tweeter or just a social media fan, you can come to the Pasadena Social Media Group meeting there 9 a.m. the first Friday in May. I will be there... and with coffee too!


Tonight I'm going to see "One Night With Janis Joplin" at the Pasadena Playhouse. I interviewed Mary Bridget Davies, the lead, so I'm extra jazzed: http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_22792053/mary-bridget-davies-gives-janis-joplin-piece-her?source=rss


Saturday I'll be dancing with my drummer Ric Sarabia at Catharae's Annual Hafla
12:30-5 p.m. March 16
Rialta Senior Center
1411 S. Riverside Ave., Rialto

$2 with potluck dish, $5 without
Signups available at the door for belly dancers who would like to participate

I'll be bringing my swords, so keep sharp! ... bad joke.... I know... try the salads, I'll be here all week.


Hopefully I can sleep in a tad tomorrow and maybe even get a nap late Sunday- woo hoo!


In rotation this week: Janis Joplin, Janis Ian, Jeffrey Bayless, The Donots and Delayaman.


Photos we got 'em: A picture of my friend's adorable new dog Ivan the Terrior-- he finally sat still for one second!, a funny music pic one of my band members sent me and some pet photos from the web.


Thought o' the week: Keep cool, baby. This week (and the past few) have been a real lesson in self control. We've been changing over to a new computer system and everyone is super stressed. The biggest problem is that people are also having trouble keeping their tempers in check and sometimes lash out a tad.


I could do the visceral thing and lash back, but I know that the people are just letting off steam and giving in to the frustration they feel. Instead I'm trying to keep quiet, speak a little softer and just give people extra space. It will get better and in a few months all the stress will be forgotten.


When I spoke to Janis Ian a few weeks ago she said she has learned to pick her battles- when to compromise and when to stand up. I'd like to think that I've done the same. This is a time that calls for understanding and maybe even a little sympathy (although I'm in the trenches with them on this), but it's definitely not a time to fight back. I know it's nothing personal and it will pass. There's sunshine... better yet... enlightenment ahead!


We all need to think before we react, especially if it means we might over-react or even add to the problem. Consider the other person's situation- are their harsh words truly a personal attack or merely a reflection of an inner frustration? You'll do better being calm under pressure and keep cool, baby.


Keep on rockin'
Mickie



No comments: