Friday, November 14, 2008

End o' week musings


I have been sooo busy this week! Remember how I said I didn't have much in my calendar? Yeah, that changes by the minute ... and I love it!

Friday night my friend Angela joined me on my assignment. First we went by to catch The Subs at the Dockside in West Covina for a set, then we went to the Buccaneer Lounge in Sierra Madre. We tried a drink, watched the crowd and generally got a feel for the spot. Angela had never been there before, although I often go by there on a weekend. This made for a good team for my review. You can read it at http://www.sgvn.com/ or in today's papers.


Saturday I woke up early and headed out to Walmart. They had a special on laptop computers, but you had to get a ticket and wait in line until 8 a.m. Some people had been there since 5 p.m. the day before! My mother wandered as I waited, but we still didn't get home until noon. She sure can shop! And yes, I picked up a few things myself....


Sunday I eased around until dance rehearsal. We're gearing up for Friday Art Night at McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World Dec. 5. If you scroll down my blog, you'll find an entry with its flyer.



It was a working week for me, as Monday I interviewed a local band, Juan Chapa y su Conjunto. Nice guys, fun music. On Wednesday I went to the Pasadena Playhouse Carrie Hamilton Theatre and met with the director and lead actor from Furious Theatre's upcoming show, "The Night Before Christmas." We had a good interview and the play sounds interesting-- definitely a good change from the usual holiday fare. Warning: Adults only for this show.



Last night I caught Uh! Oh! Explosion, God or Jill, Civet and Aiden at Chain Reaction in Anaheim. It was a great concert. I really liked God or Jill-- the lead vocalist has a very nice voice and I'm a Civet fan so 'nuff said there. Aiden was rockin' the place and Uh! Oh! had done a good job of getting things started. You can read a review and see photos at DaBelly.com soon.


My upcoming life... lol! Tomorrow I will be meeting with Ric Sarabia who will play drums for my outgoing dance at the No Doo Dah Day Party and Queen Tryouts on Nov. 23. If you scroll down my blog (again) you'll see all the info. I hope you'll drop by and say hello.


On Sunday I will be checking out a band at Hothouse Studios in Santa Fe Springs and maybe going to dance rehearsal. Oh yeah, I didn't mention my little mishap yesterday. I went to the Natural Balance dog food company in Pacoima to meet Tillman and Tyson the skateboarding bulldogs. They will be riding - and skateboarding - on a float in the Rose Parade. I competed with Tillman on boards and had to jump off as I was losing my balance and I tweaked my knee a tad. (I should be fine in a day or two). Tillman flew past me and won. But hey, he's practiced up, while I haven't been on a board since high school so was that fair?!



Photos we got 'em: Submitted for your approval, enjoy a cute pet picture, a photo of me when I used to co-host "G-Man's Freak Show," a shot from yesterday of me with the dogs and their owners and a cool image of the Gold Line station in Highland Park sent to me by Ric "Can't Put Down That New Phone" Sarabia.

In rotation this week: Civet, Brides of Destruction, Lucinda Williams, Leeann Womack and Tom Petty.


Thought of the week: Grab life. I had an interesting talk with scientist and author Gentry Lee yesterday and he spoke about how you should take all the opportunities you can because our time here is so short. I totally agree. Yes, my knee is a little stiff and painful, but how many people can boast that they raced a famous dog? Go for it, whatever it may be.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mickie, I wish I could see the 2 dogs together. Do you mind if I post your picture in my skateboarding dogs website?

http://www.squidoo.com/skateboarding-dogs

Or do you have one with the 2 of them?
Cheers

Cinetech

Mickie said...

Hello Cinetech,

The photo posted includes me, Tyson and Tillman and their owners. I don't mind sharing the photo, just please mention that it was taken at Natural Balance's training site for the bulldogs who will be skateboarding on a float in the upcoming Rose Parade in Pasadena.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie