Friday, November 21, 2008

End o' week musings






What a week!! I've been an emotional rollercoaster with the end of my reign as Doo Dah Queen rapidly coming, as well as dealing with my tweaked knee. I'm excited to be letting someone take over for the parade, but I'm going to miss my duties. I think my knee will be OK for dancing Sunday, but I'm worried about it holding out for the day...

And then...

Saturday I went to drummer Ric Sarabia's house to work on my dance set at the Doo Dah party. He will be playing drums for me and we went over the various beats, piecing them together for a multi-layered performance. He also showed me how to play one of his djembes. It was fun.

Later, I went to the birthday party for Richard of Esotouric tours. I had a good time with him, his lovely wife Kim and there interesting guests. There were many good conversations and the food at Tropicana Bakery in Downey is fantastic! Check out this video of me honoring now Sir Kim and Lady Richard of Knowledge:


Sunday I cruised down to Hothouse Studios in Santa Fe Springs. I was one of the winners of its monthly giveaway, but while there, I got an even bigger treat. I was invited to sit in on a rehearsal of Jokers Wild- a band with horns and Latin percussion that is working with Rat Pack impersonators on a big show. I got to hear Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin and Marilyn Monroe practice their songs and they were all very good. I especially enjoyed chatting with Marilyn, who is also a huge HorrorPops fan! She was sooo sweet and very smart!

The rest of my week I layed low, resting up my knee for my big day. I did have some nice interviews though. I spoke with Devon Yates of Theatre 360, which will be presenting "Babes in Toyland" at the Pasadena Playhouse, Frank Palminteri, who leads a big band which plays once a month at Crazy Horse in Pasadena and photographer/artist Stephen Berkman.

Tonight Gwar is performing at the Glass House in Pomona, but I am thinking I should pass. I love Gwar!! However, I really need to stay off my feet and get my knee a bit stronger. I'll see how I feel by the end of the day... Not likely though... darn!


Another reason I may need to pass on Gwar is I already made plans to go catch Joe Walla Band on Saturday with Angela. At least I can find a seat at the venue where they will be, so I can keep nursing myself lol! It will be fun, as the band is always great live.


Sunday is the big day!! Just in case you haven't been keeping up, here's the info:

No Doo Dah Party and Queen Tryouts
1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 23
Tryouts begin at 2 p.m. with crowing at 5:30 p.m.
American Legion Post 280
179 N. Vinedo Ave. (between San Gabriel and Altadena Drive)
East Pasadena
(626) 792-9938
$5 cover, except for first 25 queen hopefuls. Cover goes to American Legion's charity of choice

There will be performances by Snotty Scotty and the Hankies and Horses on Astroturf, food, drinks and more. Come out and audition or cheer on your favorite hopeful.

Queen hopefuls please register by calling (626) 205-4029.

Also, entry forms for the 32nd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade are now being accepted. $10 per marcher. Proceeds benefit Light Bringer Project. Be creative and innovative! Homemade conveyances are encouraged. Pets and motorized vehicles must be approved. Call (626) 205-4029 or visit http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.info/

Next week's highlights include Aluminum Marshmallow and the Age of Aquarius Horns at Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre on Wednesday. Mercy and the Merkettes will also perform. Thanksgiving is Thursday, which means croquet, a nice meal, champagne and a soak in the hot tub with Carin and Tom. And hmmm.. whatever other adventures come my way.


Photos we got 'em: Just some perky pet pics and a very nice shot of me at Memorial Park in Pasadena on the day of the Doo Dah Parade.


In rotation this week: Brides of Destruction, Civet, Taylor Swift, Lucinda Williams, Tom Petty and Joe Walla.



Thought of the week: It's all about the positive attitude. Yeah, I'm feeling a little sad. Yeah, I'm in a bit of pain. Still, it's no reason to be all whiney and grumpy and negative. I decided right away that everything needs to be put in perspective and once you do that, you can set your mind - and spirit - in the right direction. I have been singing and laughing and feeling thankful and happy for all the wonderful things I do have in my life. It seems a fortuitous coincidence that I am feeling this way at this time too, as it's perfect for Thanksgiving. I encourage you to take some time to flush out all that negativity that has been loading you down and breathe in a big fresh breath of positive attitude.

Happy Thanksgiving and
Keep on rockin'
Mickie















No comments: