Thursday, September 3, 2009

End o' week musings



Yes, it's another early version of my End o' Week Musings, but quit your sniveling! I'm going to be off of the blogosphere tomorrow because I'll be celebrating my birthday!! The big day is actually Saturday, but more about that later....







Friday the hills (and mountains) were alive with fire. It was creepy as I drove down the 210 Freeway from Covina to Pasadena, as I could see not just smoke, but actual flames reaching up to the sky. The traffic slowed at the best viewpoint, drivers were obviously in awe. It was scary and yet very beautiful.


I met 32nd Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Queen Skittles (Julie Klima) at Jake's on Colorado Boulevard for a drink and chat. We had a great conversation filled with lots of laughter. I would like to add that the bartender was not only cute and could converse intelligently, but he also knew how to make a really good dirty vodka martini! I think I'll be heading back there again soon.



Saturday night I went to the VFW in Industry to see 3 Generations. The band's lineup consists of my friend Angela's son, Benny, as well as other family members and friends. They played a nice range of music, from Frank Sinatra (complete with horns) to rock and roll. I was sooo tempted to dance, but it was nice to be just hanging out with Angela, as we haven't been able to get together in a long time. We toasted with our usual vodka tonics and shared a few secrets and a lot of giggles.


My friend Byron also came out to the show. He enjoyed 3 Generations quite a bit and we both agreed we would like to see them again. He and I watched some of the next band and then took off to Denny's for coffee and conversation.



I joined my favorite movie mogul Vernor for "Taking Woodstock" Sunday morning. It was a very good film, as it gave a behind-the-scenes look at the event instead of the concert side which you usually see. It is based on the real story, how strongly or loosely I don't know, but I thoroughly enjoyed the acting. The only thing I didn't like about the film is that you don't know what happens to the main characters after Woodstock. I would have appreciated a small part where they flash the person's picture on the screen with a few lines about what they are doing today or how Woodstock affected their lives, etc. You will be able to read Vernor's opinions on the film soon at http://www.dabelly.com/




After the movie, we went to BJ's for lunch. This has become our routine, but this time I changed things up by ordering the Italian Market Salad instead of my usual baked potato half with salad. It was yummy and I would get it again, but not if I was planning to kiss someone, as it was quite garlicky.




The waiter asked if we would like a Pizookie (an oversized cookie served warm with vanilla bean ice cream on top), but Vernor said no, that we would have one next week to celebrate my birthday. Vernor's birthday is Feb. 15-- almost six months apart from mine, so we go to BJ's twice a year to celebrate our days and have lunch followed by a decadent Pizookie. Now that's what I call fun!



Last night I met Carin at Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs. It was what we call "Cheap Bastard Night." On the first Wednesday of every month, the venue offers a free buffet during the early evening. You just pay for your drinks. Carin's husband Tom is usually in tow, but he was absent as all the junk in the air from the fires has him feeling poorly. The waitress, not realizing this, had set out two Manhattans on the table for the couple. Not one to make a fuss, I drank Tom's drink and it was pretty tasty.



Gee... I must sound like a lush lol! But I usually only have one drink when I go out, as I don't have my own designated driver and I rarely drink alone at home.... OK, maybe a really cold beer when I'm doing housework, but who doesn't deserve a drink when cleaning the house??


This weekend it will be mostly Gallery at the End of the World for me. I will be going to the artists' reception tonight, Friday I will be dancing with drummer Ric Sarabia in the evening there in between the Sundowners' sets and Sunday I plan to meet Joe Bartone from Thelonious Dub there for a chat. Here's the info one last time, should you wish to check out a great art show with entertainment, networking and lots of other fun:


Group Show featuring more than 25 artists
Noon-6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3, through Sunday, Sept. 6
Gallery at the End of World,
2475 N. Lake Ave.,
(cross street is Mariposa, venue is next door to Ranch Bar)



Artist's reception 6-9 p.m. Thursday, free.
1st Friday Art Club with entertainment and refreshments 7 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday, $5.

Potluck barbecue noon-6 p.m. Saturday, bring dish to share.

Brunch noon-6 p.m. Sunday, dish to share welcome.

Please don't be shy and come over and say hello to me if you see me. I love meeting my readers!!!


Saturday is my birthday and I'm planning to go to Disneyland. I signed up for the free admission on your birthday thing. I think I may start out by going on all the rides I usually don't, like the stuff in Fantasyland. And I definitely will ride on the carousel.





My biggest excitement next week aside from my Pizookie date is participating in a parade at the Los Angeles County Fair 4 p.m. Sept. 12. I always have fun at the fair and it's even better when I can be a part of it-- in costume even! Yay!



In rotation this week: Horrorpops, Orange, Scott Warren, Tom Petty and Motley Crue.

Photos we got 'em: A couple of cute pet pics and a dirty martini from cyberspace, plus a photo of me taken at LA Raqs. It was weird because I was just looking through Google images for amusement and discovered someone who looked very familiar-- it was me dancing! Not the nicest pose necessarily, but good action and and a cool find.

Thought o' the Week: Being on the pre-eve of my birthday, I wish I could impart some profound wisdom or deep thought, but I can't. This week I'm more simple-- be thankful for the little happiness you have in your life.

I have asthma, so due to the fires, I have been spending the bulk of my time inside with the windows closed and my weak air conditioner and better fans going. I'm not complaining, as I am fortunate to have a decent place to live, air conditioning of any kind and inhalers to keep me breathing. I also have books, television, radio, a computer and a telephone.


I can't walk outside, but I can work out indoors with my ball, weights and other equipment. More importantly, I am physically able to work out.

I have been slightly sequestered, but my friends have been calling and my mother dropped by and brought me a pink/orange rose from her garden. It's a miniature rose with tiny petals, small leaves and incy beancy thorns. It has been blooming nicely in my living room for several days.

I also have a comfortable bed and groceries in my kitchen.

All in all life is good, very good. I am thankful and happy. Are you?
Keep on rockin'
Mickie










No comments: