Friday, September 11, 2009

End o' week musings



Wow! I coudn't have asked for a better birthday weekend!!


Thursday evening I went to the artists' reception at the Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena. There was food, drink and plenty o' conversation. It was very nice.


I was off from work on Friday so I slept in late, then got up and ran a few errands. I took a little nap and got up again to ready myself for 1st Friday Art Club back at the gallery, where I was set to dance. The place was already quite lively when I arrived. The Sundowners were setting up their equipment and tuning up, Cliff was busy in the kitchen and Deborah was prepping the bar.



The Sundowners were having a PA problem so they cut their set short and I danced accompanied by my drummer Ric Sarabia. We did our usual tour of the gallery ending up in front of the stage where I had audience members pass me my swords (for a total of three) as I shook my groove thing. By the time I was finished, the band was ready to get going again.


I danced and Ric did his own performance - he sings and plays his drums and is very good and very funny. After a few minutes in front of the stage this time I took our act out to the front of the venue. The sidewalk is on a slight hill, so when I rolled to one side of the carpet (with two swords on my head) I asked one of the guests, "Do you think I should roll back? Are you afraid I might roll all the way down the hill?" He laughed and I rolled... but only as far as the other end of the carpet lol!


I had a great time performing and the audience seemed to enjoy me as well. I also made a few tips, which was nice.

Saturday was my birthday. My mom and I went to Disneyland and were joined by my friend Byron when he got off of work. It was only my mom's third visit to the happiest place on earth and the second time was sooo packed that she only got to see the fireworks and go in the Tiki Room (we had spent the day at California Adventure). I let her pick the rides, so it was a different adventure for me for sure.


The best part was riding on the Sky Rockets while the fireworks show was going and seeing Dumbo flying through the sky almost at my level. I also enjoyed the mint juleps in New Orleans Square-- a must for any visit!


I managed to get up Sunday and get out to the gallery again. When we were on the Monorail the day before, Lynn called to say I had won a work of art in the raffle, so it was time to pick it up. I won a painting by Matt Foote of a goat smoking a cigarette, with a beer can stuck in one of his horns. The goat was saying "eat me" with a ton of attitude. It made me laugh and I plan to hang it in my kitchen.


Byron went with me to the gallery and was enjoying checking out the work and chatting with the artists. He was so into it that he didn't even notice when Lynn and I slipped next door to the Rancho for birthday drinks (her birthday was Tuesday). She had a midori sour while I opted for vodka tonic.




Joe Bartone of Thelonious Dub dropped in the gallery to see me. We had a great chat and he took a look around, but unfortunately he couldn't stay, as he had to get ready for his gig. Well, I guess that is fortunate really, as it's nice to know that some local musicians are getting work despite our economy.


Later I helped work the front counter and ended up winning another painting, a small octopus rendered by Steve Bingham.

Monday was Labor Day, so I had it off. I slept in late, but still got up and did my workout. My special guy came over with gifts. He asked if we could take my car to dinner, as he wanted to put the top down. Hmmm... that was a good hint, as we ended up at Balboa where we wandered through the shopping area, dined and then took a nice walk on the beach in the moonlight.
It was Pizookie Day Tuesday. Vernor and I celebrate our birthdays (which are six months apart) with a meal at BJs featuring a pizookie for dessert. A pizookie is a big cookie served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. yummy!

The rest of the week has flown by. Saturday I will be in a parade at the Los Angeles County Fair ( http://www.fairplex.com/ and http://www.almasearabesque.com/ ). I'm still trying to plan my life for next week otherwise! Got an adventure??

One last really cool thing! The Downtown L.A. Art Walk blog has been launched and I was among the first event visitors to be featured on it. Please check it out and find out what you're missing if you don't attend this great event:





In rotation this week: Horrorpops, Orange, Brian Finnegan & William Coulter, Motley Crue and other assorted artists...

Photos we got 'em: A couple of cute pics- a panda and a kitty - that I received in e-mails and a photo of my dance teacher's new dog, Tinkerbell. Shahira rescued this little pup just before it was going to be euthanized. Tinkerbell has a few health problems, but is sweet as pie! Please spay or neuter your pets...

Thought o' the week: New attitude. Yeah, you've probably heard that a million times, but have you ever thought about what it really means. On my birthday, I decided that I am going to make this my year by drawing more positivity in my direction.

To achieve this, I am doing several things:
I am writing down my goals and figuring out how to make them happen.
I am going to finish going through my closets, drawers, boxes, etc. in my house and sorting out all the things I don't need or use.
I will donate all the good items to others less fortunate or to friends who will appreciate them.
I will recycle things I can in addition to my usual recycling at home.

I will use my shredder to cut up all those old bills, papers, etc. that need to be trashed.
I will try not to cry over the past, but instead examine it for what I can learn from it.
That's just a start, but it's a good one. You can obtain a new attitude by making many changes or just one. It's up to you and it's good karma.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie






No comments: