Friday, October 9, 2009

End o' week musings






What a week! It has just zoomed by, but that's probably because I've been busy!


I had left you on Friday after my wonderful conversation with Emilie Autumn. She's coming out this way in a couple of weeks and I so want to catch her show. That evening I went to the L.A. County Fair for my final walkabout before it closed. I looked at tons of stuff, but came home empty handed-- there wasn't much worth my pennies this year. The displays were very good and there was a nice wide array of entertainment, so it's always worth the trip for that.


Saturday I went to the Pantages for the Rumi Symphony concert featuring Hafez Nazeri. The place was packed! What impressed me most, though, was the amazing architecture. If you didn't care for the show, you could have just sat there taking in all the opulence. As for the performance, it was quite possibly the most beautiful music I have ever heard. I didn't want the show to end.... but it did.



Hafez and his father sat at a table in the front of the Pantages to sign CDs. I got in line and gave Hafez copies of our interview that ran in my newspapers (and online at http://www.sgvn.com/) last Friday and he gave me a big hug.


Sunday I ended up at the Dodgers game with my friend Carin. We were in the top deck and boy! it was a little scary being so high. Going down the stairs to our seats, I worried about doing a header and landing somewhere far below... nothing happened, thank goodness. We enjoyed Dodger dogs, nachos, peanuts, beer and of course the game. The Dodgers won too, which was extra cool.



After the game, we went back to Carin's house and her hubby Tom joined us in the hot tub with drinks and cigars. You can bet I slept well that night!


Wednesday was my hot ticket, as The 69 Eyes were finally here! I arrived early at the Galaxy Concert Theatre in Santa Ana because I like to catch the local bands that open the show, as well as the other acts leading up to the headliner. I saw Spektor, the Becoming and Dommin. I especially enjoyed Dommin- their drummer had it going on. He had creative beats and fills and was quite a showman.

Throughout the night I was almost to the stage except for a row of tall guys. I could see, but I had to move with the crowd. In between bands, I chatted with the people in front of me. Two guys had traveled all the way from a little town just beyond Fresno to see this show! There were two other guys who had caught the show the night before at the Key Club in Hollywood. One of this duo, was an exceptionally tall young man and just before The 69 Eyes hit the stage he said "let's switch places" so I ended up against the stage with him behind me. What a wonderful nice thing to do! Kudos to you, nice tall guy (cute too!) and thank you for letting me get an even better look at the performance.
The 69 Eyes were fantastic live. They added in special touches so parts of songs were slightly different than the album, which was great, and their energy was awesome. Lead vocalist Jyrki definitely channels Elvis, as he had the moves and attitude. I would definitely see this band again!! (For more on the show, visit http://www.dabelly.com/ after Oct. 15).
The rest of my week was filled out by lots of interviews, including Sue Hodson, curator at the Huntington in San Marino, who taught me about the Los Angeles Renaissance, which occured at the same time period as the famed arts and culture boom in Harlem. There is an exhibit opening at the end of this month, which will run through February http://www.huntington.org/.



I also spoke with Rob Halford (http://www.halford.com/ ) about his upcoming "Winter Songs" album. Yes, winter, holidays and metal... an intriguing combination, which surprisingly works. Halford's bassist Mike Davis explained it better to me in that metal is somber, dark and retrospective, so it makes a perfect foil for the season, a time when you reflect over the past year and plan for the future.


Halford also shared some insights on his apparel company Metal God (http://www.metalgodshop.com/). It seems many women have said that they would like some of his designs on girlie shirts rather than having to buy guys' shirts which don't fit our bodies as well. Halford has listened and is working to broaden the line. Oh, and more on the album, "Winter Songs": I listened to a couple of cuts and wow! I plan to add this to my collection for sure!!

I met with Mike Davis yesterday for the other half of my interview on "Winter Songs." When he's not busy with Halford or Dramarama, he is the sous chef at the FrontRunner at Santa Anita Park. This means he designs the menu and runs the kitchen. He treated me to two of his favorite dishes as we talked. Even if you're not into horse racing, you would probably enjoy the gorgeous view of the San Gabriel Mountains and the yummy cuisine. It was a great meal, made better by some great conversation.
Mike and I chatted about making the record, as well as sports-- we agree on baseball: Dodgers, but not on hockey: Kings- Mike, Ducks - me.... Hey Mike, see ya at the rink-- Go Ducks!!!

Tomorrow I am going to go to Bluesapalooza and Thunderfest in Covina with my mother. She loves the classic cars and the music. Later, I will be heading to the Hip Kitty in Claremont to see Thelonious Dub (www.myspace.com/theloniousdub ). Sunday, I'm off the the L.A. Chocolate Salon in Pasadena with my friend Linda. Wonder how many more stairs and situps I'll have to do to make up for that!!
In rotation this week: The Sorcerors, The 69 Eyes, Rumi Symphony, Mary Mary and Joe Walla.

Photos we got 'em: A couple of charming pet picks from Stuffonmycat.com (can you meow Oktoberfest?), a photo of me at the Pantages (look at that ceiling!) and a peek at cover of "Winter Songs."
Thought o' the week: Sleep is overrated, but necessary. I often say I'll sleep when I'm dead and what I mean by that is that I don't want to miss a thing. I got home at 1 a.m. after The 69 Eyes' concert, which mean I would get about five hours of sleep.... it was sooo worth it. But I have been more tired than usual this week, probably because I've stepped up my workout routine. (I've also been more hungry too, hmmm....). I've been grabbing an extra half-hour of sleep every morning and trying to go to bed a little earlier than my normal time (midnight or so) and it is definitely helping.

The other reason I'm making an effort to get a tad extra zzzzs is that a lot of people around me have been ill and I want to give my body what it needs to stave off any icky bugs floating around. I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll adjust and be able to go back to my usual milieu, but for now I'm going to do what my body needs. As for you, listen to your body and try to take care of its wants. You can't enjoy things if you feel worn out or if you get sick. There's so much adventure out there, I don't want you to miss a thing!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie








No comments: