Thursday, April 1, 2010

Andy Kim honored and releasing new album

ANDY KIM INDUCTED INTO HIT PARADE HALL OF FAME
New Album "HAPPEN AGAIN" Out March 30th; First album in over 20 Years
www.andykimmusic.com
www.facebook.com/andykimmusic
www.myspace.com/andykimmusic

E1 Music is proud to announce ANDY KIM has been inducted into The Hit Parade Hall Of Fame and proud to release his first album in over 20 years, HAPPEN AGAIN, on March 30th.

It was the vote of fans and the decision of the Nominating Committee that inducted ANDY KIM, including Louis Armstrong, Sam Cooke, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Sammy Davis, Jr., Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson & the Jackson Five, Carole King, Little Richard, and The Rolling Stones.

ANDY is about to embark on another phase in his continually intriguing evolution when E1 Music releases HAPPEN AGAIN on March 30th, an album of 10 brand new songs, each true to his passionate belief that “those who chase their dreams succeed only through sheer determination and a steadfast belief in the power of the individual to influence a multitude by speaking from the heart,” says ANDY.

Throughout his career, ANDY has always maintained an unwavering and unconditional love for his music, believing that “art is more important than the artist.”

His new music possesses the timeless, transcendent and transforming qualities of his songs before, while giving us a very personal look into the artist's take on love and change. Songs such as the title single, “Happen Again,” “3 Days in Heaven,” “Someday”, “Without You,” and express the faith in love, life and the importance of personal strength to enduring change.

For a guy who “never has a plan,” Andy Kim’s career has worked out quite nicely. The man behind such massive pop hits as “Sugar Sugar,” “Rock Me Gently” and “Baby, I Love You,” now has a new full-length album, Happen Again, which, remarkably, he made without a plan.

“I’ve been like that since I was a kid,” says the affable singer-songwriter, who lives in Toronto and Los Angeles. “If you get to know me, I have no plan. I never have a plan. I just wake up and say, ‘Okay, I wonder what magic is going to happen in my life today?’”

That’s how the songs on Happen Again were recorded, including the title track; the gorgeous opener, “Three Days In Heaven;” poppy pep talk “Judy Garland;” self-pronouncement “This Is Me;” and fun Cupid-crushing kiss-off “Love Has Never Been My Friend.” Over his epic career, ANDY has sold over 30 million records, with songs covered by music history's greats, including Wilson Pickett, Tom Jones, Ike & Tina Turner, and Bob Marley.

"3 Days In Heaven,” with the lyric “I got lost in the sweet compassion of a long-lost friend” was the first song recorded for the album. ““For however long it lasts, it’s a magical time that erases the battle that you once had,” says Andy of the lyric.

“Someday” was written 34 years ago, when his father was in the hospital. “It’s hard sometimes when you’re feeling something that visceral to go out and say, ‘Ta-da!’” says Andy. “My father was much older when I was born and died when he was 94. I was 24. My two older brothers were like my custodians. I played the song for my three brothers and we all had tears in our eyes.”

There are some classic lines in some of these songs as well. In “This Is Me,” he writes: “I’m not trying to win moment with you/ I’m trying to win a lifetime” and on the quirkier “Love Has Never Been My Friend,” he implores, playfully, “Cupid if you hear me / Don't come near me with that bow.”

“I’m fascinated by relationships as you can surmise by what I write,” Andy says. “I used to write songs as a way of getting the girl. Then, you get older and someone else gets the girl. Now it’s about meeting people and having the opportunity to share.”

“I Forgot To Mention,” was produced and co-written with Barenaked Ladies’ Ed Robertson. "It was such a pleasure to write and produce a song with Andy. He believes in the power of music, he loves songs, and he is SO rock and Roll. Beyond the massive hits, and the multi-decade career, there is a wonderful man who I'm proud to call my friend.”

Of course, with so many hits under his belt, and songs that continue to get covered decade after decade (most recently, the massively-viral 2007 Jeep commercial and Dreamworks animation Bee Movie), Andy Kim certainly doesn’t need to keep making music. So why does he?

“I think songwriters don’t have a choice,” he says. “Gotta do it. Nobody retires from songwriting. They can retire from live performance, but not from songwriting. What thrills me is I love people and I’m curious about people and I’m always wondering why they do what they do, so it’s a way of me finding out, then releasing that discovery.”

"It was such a pleasure to write and produce a song with ANDY KIM. He believes in the power of music, he loves songs, and he is SO rock and Roll. Beyond the massive hits, and the multi-decade career, there is a wonderful man who I'm proud to call my friend,” says Barenaked Ladies’ Ed Robertson.

No comments: