Friday, May 7, 2010

End o' week musings


Last week I left work early to pick up my dress for the Doo Dah Parade. It was being embellished by the experts at Mother Plucker Feather Company in Los Angeles and turned out even more beautiful that I had dreamed!

I got up extra early Saturday, got ready and trundled out to the parade staging area. As I was dressing by my car, a police car stopped. I asked if I had parked in a no parking zone or had done anything wrong and the officers replied that everything was fine, they just wanted to see my outfit, as they wouldn't get to watch the parade. I stood so they could see and was officially Pasadena Police Officer approved!

The parade itself was wonderful! It became a big party in the street where the line between the entries and the audience blurred- which is perfect for Doo Dah. You can see photos and links to other spots at www.insidesocal.com/doodah

After the parade I went to the party at the American Legion on Vinedo St. I chatted, danced and had a great time. It was fun catching up with everyone on what they've been doing since I saw them last. Later, I went up to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena where our float was parked. There was a photo exhibit and street fair in the alley (does that make it an alley fair?). I put my dress back on and hung out by the float talking with people about the gallery, the parade and other things.

At 9 p.m. float artist Dave Lovejoy said it was time to tear down. We took the float apart and stored everything in the gallery so he could drive his truck home. It was a little sad...


My friends, Better Than Blue, were playing next door at the Rancho Bar, so I had to go in for a while. I made it through their first set, but was so tired I knew I had to go home.

Sunday I was a slug. Well, not entirely, I mean I could barely move and just lounged around, but I wasn't afraid of salt! OK bad joke.. but you get the picture. I slept sooo much!


The rest of my week was filled with interviews and dance class. I spoke with Tom Krebs about the Monster Guitar Road Show coming to Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre next week, as well as Mike Castillo of Mourning Blues and Will Bradley and Robert Mammana of the play "The Twentieth Century Way" opening tonight at Boston Court in Pasadena. This morning I met with author John Sandford, who writes crime novels ( look for Prey in the title). He was very nice and encouraged me to write a book!


Tomorrow I will be joining the Pasadena bloggers for a tour of Pasadena City Hall followed by lunch. I'm looking forward to learning the secrets behind the architecture and whatever other good stories Ann Erdman might have.

In the evening I will be taking my mom to dinner. We're going to meet some friends and it should be fun. Sunday, I'm cooking for her and then her birthday's Monday.




Next week my biggest excitement will be interviewing the director and two of the actors from "Max Neptune and the Menacing Squid." I will get a private screening of the film too, which opens in Whittier in June.




In rotation this week: Chris Blake, Genitorturers, Mew Frengers, Ludo, The Randies and Offspring.

Photos we got 'em: A few cute animal pics from the 'Net and a photo of me at the Doo Dah Parade taken by SGVN photographer Eric Reed (visit http://www.sgvn.com/ to see his photo gallery).


Thought o' the week: Speak up. I don't mean in a stand up for your rights kind of way, I mean in a friendly manner. When was the last time you met someone new and really had a good conversation with them? You know, not just a weak smile or - like my office - a grunt and nod as you pass by the new person's desk.


In my profession I meet a lot of people and have a lot of good conversations, but in my personal life I am sometimes guilty too of not reaching out. A new lady joined my dance class and I finally took the opportunity to talk to her at length and I learned that we have several interests in common. I have a new acquaintance, but was also nice because now she feels more at home in class...

You never know where a conversation will lead. You might meet your BFF, the love of your life or just someone who brightens your day. It all starts by saying hello.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: