Friday, May 20, 2011

End o' Week Musings


























My busy life is calming down after this weekend.. but you know that just means new adventures! So what all did I do this week??











I spent last Saturday and Sunday at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire of course. My group performed for a special memorial remembering all the people associated with the Faire who died over the past year. It was a little stressful for me, as I was on the drum and didn't want to mess up. My director and his assistant both said I did a good job! Yay.






My friends (and fellow Ad Hoc Consort/Danse Macabre) members Steve and Mary shared a couple photos I took of them with their camera. In "bones" and "normal." I also found a cute photo on Facebook of my group having fun performing at the bridge at Friends of Faire. I'm not sure who took it, but thank you...








Now you're primed and in the mood to come out to Faire. Well, don't wait because it's the last weekend! You can catch up with me and my swords at 10 a.m. inside the front gate, 1 p.m. on the Kids Kingdom stage and 4 p.m. on the bridge at Friends of Faire. I'll also be in my bones for our parades at 11 a.m. from the front of Faire to Friends of Faire and 3 p.m. from Friends of Faire, around the back part of the Faire and back.














Saturday night my mother and I went to the Pasadena Museum of California Art to see the Clayton Brothers exhibit. It was great! We also enjoyed the graffiiti and lettering displays. Visit http://www.pmcaonline/ to learn more and make plans for an artistic outing.















This week I interviewed teacher Oliver Beckwith, whose history honors class will have a display on firefighters at the Arcadia Historical Museum in June. I also spent some time with John Rabe, host of KPCC's "Off Ramp." He has a photo exhibit coming up with his shots of abandoned televisions. We actually drove through his neighborhood to find one and snap some shots so I could see his process.








Later, we met Julian Bermudez and headed down to Julian's gallery in L.A., which will be showing John's work. It's a nice space with lots of light and big windows. We finished our trip with a wonderful Chinese lunch.








Yesterday I went to the South Pasadena Farmers Market to speak with Dirk Hermann, the owner of L.A. Funghi. He supplies all kinds of mushrooms for consumers to buy at farmers markets. It seems odd, but it proved an absolutely facsinating story.












I ended Thursday with my last hula class of the session. We have a month break-- what the heck am I going to do on Thursday nights now?!





In addition to my Ren Faire fun, I'm going to T. Boyle's in Pasadena Saturday night to see Dramarama. It should be a good show.







Next week will be calmer, but still interesting because I'm slated to interview Trevor of Face to Face. I'm excited because years ago when I fronted the hard rock/heavy metal band Morpheus, we used to play together. I always enjoyed FTF on stage and they were nice off the stage as well.





In rotation this week: Dramarama, Terrible Things, Orange Sky and The Offspring.




Photos we got 'em: Faire photos and my "television cheesecake" portrait by esteemed photographer John Rabe.



Thought o' the week: It's OK to rest. I've been going at full steam for about three months now. Working or having to be somewhere every day without a break. Sure, I'm enjoying myself, but I really am counting the days until I can sleep in and get up and do what I want to do instead of cater to a calendar.





At first I felt guilty about wanting a break, but now I've realized that it's important to have a day off from it all. We all need to unwind and decompress now and then. So when's the last time you vegged out? And yes, it is OK to rest, but don't rest so long that life passes you by.




Keep on rockin'

Mickie

2 comments:

Bobby Boy said...

Members of Dr. Demento's Academy of Mad Music and Crazy Comedy will remember "'Tain't no sin to take off your skin and dance around in your bones", a novelty dance number from around 1930, more recently recorded by Tom Waits and others. And we southpaws, who look upon Jimi Hendrix as one of our guitar heroes, will be cuing up "Foxey Lady" when we see the last photo.

Stay stoked (but kick back from time to time)

Bobby Boy

Mickie said...

Awww... you're too sweet!

Rockin' the rest of the day away,
yours,
m