Friday, March 30, 2012

End o' week musings




Wow! What a week! It was sooo busy, it flew by!



Saturday and Sunday I was braving the weather out at the Renaissance Faire workshops. They finished Sunday just as the first drops reached us and I was home warm and dry during the bulk of the storm.





Monday, Byron invited me and my friend Linda to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. We had a great time and went on quite a few of the rides. Linda had never been on Indiana Jones, as well as a few other things, so I know it was extra fun for her.








Tuesday morning found me at the Huntington in San Marino speaking with Peter Blogett, the curator of its upcoming railroad exhibition. I learned a little about the history of the transcontinental railways and got to go in the manuscript vault to peruse travel journals, maps, posters and other cool ephemera from the 1800s. I'm charged up about the show, which opens late April. I know my railroad friends (that means you Bobby Boy!) are already making a plans to go... all aboard!



I went back to the office and chatted with Merlin about the Renaissance Faire, as it opens next weekend. He is a wealth of knowledge and has tons of terrific stories... wish I could print them all.



Wednesday Melody at the Norton Simon Museum told me about the Cherry Blossom woodcut exhibit that's opening there in a few weeks. It's small, but mighty, with a nice array of art exploring the seasons, culture and landmarks and beautiful women. The images are exquisite!






In the afternoon I had a date with history. I went to Pasadena Playhouse to meet with Richard Chamberlain, who is starring in its upcoming production of "The Heiress." The star of "Dr. Kildare," "The Thornbirds" and lots more proved charming and pleasant. He's also still very handsome too! Richard, yes we're on a first name basis now, told me about his childhood in Los Angeles, his adventures in Hawaii and how much he likes Pasadena. When I finished my questioning, he turned things and began interviewing me! I have such a cool job! By the way, my story should publish at http://www.sgvn.com/ April 20.




This weekend I have the last bits of Faire workshops and adding my imput as one of the judges of the Pasadena Doo Dah Parade queen hopefuls (see blog post below so you don't miss the fun).




In rotation this week: Lamb of God, Severin Browne, The Randies and Black Sabbath.





Photos we got 'em: A pick of my group Ad Hoc Consort performing at the Ren Faire last year and the usual pet photos that made me smile.













Thought o' the week: Turn it off. Do you ever feel overstimulated? It's easy with all the over-connectedness today and the stress of trying to keep up with everything.



I couldn't turn my brain off Wednesday night and was up past 3 a.m. I had too many things going on and thoughts were bouncing around my mind like bugs around a light. Pretty scary, huh? My answer was to turn off last night so I could get some good sleep. I turned off everything- television, radio, phone, lights - EVERYTHING, settled comfortably in my bed, closed my eyes and just breathed deeply and slowly, easing all the worry from my mind and let myself just be for a while. After a good 20 minutes of this, I got up, brushed my teeth, did the last few things I needed to do (with one very low light turned on) and went to bed.




And you know what?! I slept well and woke up refreshed. Life is much better today. Ooo and the trifecta of Friday, payday and huge lottery helps too.






When you're getting frazzled, listen to your body and try turning it off for a while. You'll be better for it.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: