Friday, August 3, 2012

End o' week musings



Wow! I feel like it's any day but Friday. Wonder if I'm just in a writing/working mood or what??!!







Last Saturday Louise and I went to our friend Carin's house to help out with a few things and have some fun too. I did a couple of little sewing projects, while Louise worked on a photo album/scrapbook covering Obie's (Carin's dad) life. In the afternoon we went swimming in the pool, which was almost as warm as bath water.






We also had a nice lunch of bratwurst and chicken hot dogs fresh off the grill with potato salad, veggies and other nibbbles as we relaxed in the Flamingo Lounge. Awww... what a nice calm day.





Sunday I went to the Phoenix Club in Anaheim to see my band director play horns in the American German Brass Band. It's the start of Oktoberfest season already and they'll be there many weekends through the end of October.










The band was very good and I also enjoyed the dancing. I got a giggle out of the children's folk dance group, as the little boys looked like they'd rather be anywhere that dressed in leiderhosen and holding - yuck - a girl's hand! But they still danced nicely.






On the way home I stopped for a walk around the Brea Mall. I didn't really shop, I more people-watched, but it was nice in the air conditioning. I drove home with the top down on the car and it was just the right temperature then!





This week has been fairly quiet, although I had a little excitement. I went to my drummer Ric's house so we could select our music for our performance at the Los Angeles County Fair on Sept. 15. We will be using some taped recordings to spice up our act. We begin rehearsals in just over a week, although we're both going to work on some ideas separately before then. I can't wait to see what Ric comes up with! He always has a storyline for each song, which is wonderful for me, as I create choreography and polish his ideas with some of my own. He's quite creative and has a great grasp on what the audience will enjoy.





Yesterday I interviewed Daniel Suarez ( http://www.daniel-suarez.com/ ) author of "Kill Decision." He's a thriller writer with an emphasis on technology and now has three best-sellers under his belt. While at his home, I met his little orange cat Lucy, who supposedly hisses at everyone. Well, she came right up to me and said hello, sniffing my ankle and giving me the lightest rub. When I went to leave, she came out from another room to say good bye. Yes, animals do seem to like me.







I also met with Juliette Fairley (http://www.juliettefairly.com/ ) yesterday to discuss her movie, "Mulatto Saga," which is being aired on television across the country. She was very nice and quite open about the experiences in her life, on which her films are based. She has another film at the ready and still one more just cast.






If you are looking for something to do Saturday or would like to meet me, I'll be dancing with my swords accompanied by my friend Joanne on drums and violin at the opening of the exhibit, "Urband Landscapes." Here's the skinny:





"Urban Landscapes" opening reception

5:30-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4 ~ performance by Nocturra & Joanne at 7 p.m.

Colonnade Art Gallery and Studio

2421 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena 91107

Free

626-239-3153







In rotation this week: Jewel, Danzig, Foghat and Tae Phoenix



Photos we got 'em: A pic of Ariel's Grotto (my favorite Disney character's place) at California Adventure from my friend Hara, a photo of my reader and friend Mark by the world famous Wienermobile when it stopped in Ontario recently and two pet pics that made me happy.



Thought o' the week: Keep calm. It's been a flurry of stuff the past couple of days- more work than the clock has time for, but it's all how you deal with it.



I started feeling a little anxious looking at the work piling up on my desk after having to be out of the office doing interviews most of yesterday and attending the Pasadena Social Media Group (Interested? Check them out on Facebook) meeting this morning. I have decided that I'll still take a break for my lunch, as it will clear my mind and make me a little more productive for the rest of the day. 'Sides I can be a slug tomorrow until I have to stretch and dress for my gig.




Yeah, the work's piling up, but I'm taking a deep breath and putting it all in perspective. I'm organized, I know I can get through it in a timely manner. Getting upset and flustered will only make it a bigger hassle. So when you're facing a daunting task, pause a second and think it over-- what is the best approach? what should you do first? how much time should you devote to each part of the work? and so on.... You can do it if you stay calm.


Keep on rockin'

Mickie




















No comments: