Friday, April 13, 2007

End o' week musings







I've been busier than the Easter bunny and definitely need to plan a nice soak in the tub like the little guy in this weird photo sent to me by my friend Gerry Black. He says it's part of the latest Playboy Bunny calendar-- very funny!! It made my day, so of course I have to share it with you. Also in pictures: The perky blonde is my best friend Valerie goofing around in a safari cowboy hat at Rainforest Cafe in Ontario Mills. Local musician Andrew Kvammen (aka Acid Andy) was ready to relax at the Wistaria Festival in Sierra Madre. He played with Aluminum Marshmallow, a classic rock cover band, as part of the Age of Aquarius Horn Section. Andrew performs in a number of local bands, including his own eclectic cover group, Andrew's Bad Stuff. Then there's Joe Walla showing off his latest guitar- it's sure is pretty, but can he play it? You bet!
My week was filled plump with music. On Saturday Valerie and I went to the Dockside Grill in Covina to see The Subs. The trio have a multitude of projects between them, but in this lineup they offer up acoustic versions of just about any tune you can name (or tip them for). Mostly you'll hear rock, folk, country pop and R&B. They're there 7:30-11 p.m. every other Friday and Saturday night, which means they will be back on April 20 and 21. It's a casual scene and audience participation is encouraged. Also the food is yummy and the bartender knows his stuff. Not bad at all for a no-cover venue. By the way, Valerie didn't wear the hat...
On Wednesday I went to Pasadena City College to watch the Studio Jazz Band show off their talents. Andrew above does time in this group on his trombone and had a really decent solo during "Recuerdo." I'll admit that this type of jazz isn't quite my speed, but the musicianship kept me listening. If you like jazz, watch for their record release party on June 6. Visit www.pasadena.edu
I interviewed a lot of interesting people this week. First I spoke with keyboardist Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater/Dixie Dregs) about his upcoming show at CalProg with the Rudess/Morgenstein Project. The group is actually a duo- Rudess and drummer Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs) and they kick! CalProg will be in Whittier on May 19. Visit www.calprog.com and www.jordanrudess.com
Local musician Mike Oliver of ColdFusion bent my ear over his hopes of garnering a deal with Epic Records through the Music Nation competition. The band battles go for 12 weeks ending with one artist selected in three genres- rock, pop and urban, who ink with the label and receive a nice pile o' prizes. ColdFusion will be in the judging arena April 30-May 6. Check out www.rock.musicnation.com/vb5 and www.coldfusionband.com and if you like what you see, take a minute to vote for these guys to win.
Culture Clash, the famed Chicano/Latino performance art troupe is coming to the Pasadena Playhouse on May 21 to do a benefit show for El Centro de Accion Social. Richard Montoya took some time to talk with me about Culture Clash, how he writes their scripts and what kind of show they are planning. Visit www.cultureclash.com and www.elcentropasadena.org
Watch www.sgvn.com for stories coming up on these three to preview their happenings.
Next up for me is tonight- the Nekromantix at the Glass House in Pomona, I can't wait!! I'll let you know how it goes. www.nekromantix.com And other great shows to watch for: Goth rockers Night Kills the Day at the Key Club on April 20. Their album is great so their live show has to be good. www.nightkillstheday.com Closer to home, support one of my favorite local bands by attending Media Orpha's CD release party on April 20 at the No Future Cafe in Pasadena. I understand there's free hot chocolate and coffee and I know there will be plenty o' cool grooves from a group that deserves attention. www.mediaorphan.com
In rotation this week: Nekromantix, Media Orphan, Night Kills the Day, Shaw/Blades, Mystic Groove and Judas Priest
I'm heading off for a few days of R&R at my friend's ranch, but I'll be back to share my adventures soon. 'Til then, keep the sun on your back, the wind in your hair and
keep on rockin'
Mickie




No comments: