Friday, March 26, 2010

End o' week musings

I need more hours in my week! Aaarrrggghhhh! I just hate those weeks when you've done a ton of stuff and still have tons more to do.... but perhaps this will clarify my feelings...



Friday I left work for my doctor's check up and ended up in x-ray because I commented that I had hurt my ankle a couple of weeks before and it was still bothering me. That took up the bulk of my afternoon, but it wasn't that horrible because at least I found out that my foot and ankle are fine, just sore.



Saturday Atticus, my Jack Russell terrier, joined me on assignment at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. We were covering their dog agility class and were going to be guinea pigs.. umm... dog/human team testers. Atticus was actually very good at the course and picked everything up so quickly that I felt a little embarrassed. The other students had been in it for over a month with homework and here we were, day one, conquering the obstacles well.

It was a long, exhausting class. You really don't realize the energy you've expended until you stop for a few minutes. We went home and napped the rest of the afternoon away. In the evening, I cooked dinner and invited my mom over. We had corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots and Atti liked every bite- even the veggies!

I was still a little tired on Sunday so I did stuff around the house that needed doing and took it easy.


Monday I met local rockers Thee Invention after work for an interview. They are very nice and their music is well-arranged. Watch for my story and their upcoming gigs.




Tuesday was super long. I met with singer/songwriter Johanna, followed by hip-hop artist IWIL and then Eagle, who leads the Country Gentlemen entry in the Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade. All great interviews- good people. I was still amped up thinking about all the different stories I am working on when I went to bed, which probably wasn't good for me. Adding to that, the power turned off at 11 p.m. (we had been told it would in order for the electric people to do some kind of work). It was weird sitting in pitch dark and very, very quiet and I sat up for quite a few hours waiting for the sandman...



Wednesday was fun. I got to speak with Tiger Woods lookalike Herme Chua. He was extremely pleasant and has a terrific sense of humor. But then, I guess you have to be able to laugh, especially after the scandal.



Later I went to see jewelry artist Ellen Dinerman in Altadena. She has the most beautiful bronze and silver earrings, bracelets and necklaces. Most of her items are botanical or bird themed, and all are very detailed. She will be showing her work at Art on Palm in Altadena in April.




Yesterday it was a stop and go day in the office. As soon as I was working on something, I would get interrupted. But I finally completed most of what I needed to do.



After work, I met fellow journalist and cool blues guitarist Frank Butler at the Firefly Bistro in South Pasadena. It was Beer, Burgers and Blues Night with Barry Brenner at the helm, weaving an evening of blues and rock tunes as we drank Irish stout and dined on gourmet goodies. The hours went by quickly and Frank and I decided to take a walk through the neighborhood before parting ways.



We ended up at his truck, where Frank pulled out his guitar and we had an impromptu jam of our own. Frank has a sweet-toned voice with a good growl here and there- perfect for his genre and I had a blast crooning with him in the moonlight. I hope I get to sing with him again soon.


I have lots to do this weekend. I'll be running errands with mom and making candy, as well as working on my next dress, writing and editing for DaBelly.com and sneaking in the office to try to get ahead here too. Wish me luck!


Next week my big thrill is Tuesday when I go with Carin, Tom and Meaghan to Catalina Island for the day. It will be a much-needed break from the fast pace I've been living recently!

In rotation this week: John Wort Hannah, Since October, Jeffree Starr, Janis Joplin, Andrew's Bad Stuff and HIM.

Photos we got 'em: Pet pics from the Web and a photo of Atticus and me in action at dog agility class compliments of William Halstrom.


Thought o' the week: Organization is key. People often comment that my life is crazy-busy and ask how I do it. I tell them that I keep ONE calendar and write EVERYTHING in it. If the event isn't in there, it doesn't exist to me.


I also believe in a place for everything and everything in it's place. When I go home at the end of the day, my keys, glasses, purse, cell phone, etc. all go in the same place every time so I can find them when I need them. Sure, I have some clutter (My gym clothes are folded in a pile on my floor so I have to see them and exercise), but it's organized.



Take one of the biggest stresses out of your life by following my stead. And if you have any great organizing tips, share them!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: