Friday, April 9, 2010

End o' week musings





It's been another long week.


I went home at a fairly normal time last Friday because I knew I'd be back for more of the same Saturday. I have sooo many things on deadline right now! But I still love my job. For proof, pick up the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star News or Whittier Daily-News today and check out the Weekend section-- four stories count 'em!! And that's just today's offerings....




It was Easter on Sunday, so I had planned a quiet day of sewing my outfit for the Doo Dah Parade. Instead my friends Byron and Lousie dropped by, but it was fine, as they helped me figure out my pattern and had brought little jobs of their own to do as well. Louise had it worst, as she brought her bills lol! I threw some corned beef in a pot for our dinner and was checking it when the earthquake hit. Wow! Did it roll and for a long time! But nothing fell down or broke nor did my simmering dinner spill over.




uesday I interviewed David Hillyard, saxophone player for The Slackers. They're coming to SoCal in a few weeks and I'd love to catch their show. Call in ska, rockin' jazz, reggae rock or whatever you like- it's good stuff! And David was very nice and interesting too!





Wednesday I went to the Huntington in San Marino to learn about the upcoming exhibit on the Seven Years War. The most interesting thing I learned was that it could actually be called the first world war, as it created global conflict.





Then I went to the Norton Simon Museum to speak learn about the Ellsworth Kelly show. Kelly was noted for his abstract contemporary work, but you may not know that it was all based from nature and architecture. Some of Kelly's botanical prints will be on display. They are simple black and white, yet delicate and recognizable forms. They show the link to his other work as well.




In the evening I joined Carin and Byron at Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs. We chatted over our drinks (cosmo for Carin, root beer for Byron and black and tan for me) and ate too much from the buffet. We continued our conversation in Carin's hot tub under the stars. It was such a beautiful evening that I didn't want to end.




Tonight I have been invited to a big show at Mr. T's in Highland Park. There's supposed to be Latin jazz, tango dancers and more. It should be a good show.



Saturday I will be heading down to the Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena to begin working on the outgoing queen float for the Doo Dah Parade (hmmmm.. I see a trend here lol!).


If you would like to help, there's still time. You can bring materials - we especially need big pieces of cardboard - to the gallery any time between noon-5 p.m. tomorrow (April 10) or next Saturday (April 17). If you want to get your hands dirty and have a great time, you can join us on either one or both of the same days/same times or our final Saturday, April 24.


Anyone who contributes to or works on the float is welcome to march with our entry in the parade on May 1. For more info e-mail me at michelle.mills@sgvn.com


Oooo and some cool news. Instead of being the interviewer, I will be the interviewee on Sunday for a story to go in the Doo Dah Parade guide. The reporter, Gary, said that he reads my blogs too! Wow! A real fan. I wonder what he's going to ask me......




My final excitement for next week is on April 16 Ken Waldman (Alaska's Fiddling Poet and my friend) will be performing at the Ruth B. Shannon Center in Whittier. I think there's tickets still available, visit http://www.kenwaldman.com/ for more gig info.








In rotation this week: Age of Evil, HIM, Ricky McMullen, Janis Joplin and Since October.


Photos we got 'em: Animal fun from the Internet.


Thought o' the week: Wait. My special guy told me last week that the one thing he's taught me is patience and he's right. In the past when people have told be patience is a virtue, I responded "who needs virtues?" Well, patience is, pardon the pun, worth your time.

A good example has been this entire week. It's been fraught with a series of possible setbacks. You read the "possible" part right? That's my point. I tried to keep my frustration down and hang in there to see how things would play out and so far, it seems to be working. Everything is slowly falling into the right place in my world.


By pausing, I avoided adding unnecessary conflicts or other riffs that could hurt more further down the line. It's important not to overreact and to not let the heat of the moment get the best of you. As I like to say, take a deep breath and pause, it may be the most important thing you do all day.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie





No comments: