Monday, June 21, 2010

Dream Theater draws letters

I love to hear from my readers! Here's a note from Coach Bill regarding my story on Dream Theater (online at www.sgvn.com ):


Hi Michelle,

I just read your Dream Theater advance and noticed you got Mike Portnoy for the interview, which is always a nice catch. I'm going to the Northern California show on Sunday in Concord.

Not a bad story for the average reader, but I do have info on DMT's (Dream Theater) lineup: James LaBrie by and large is the only vocalist most of Dream Theater's fandom has ever known. The original voice recorded the debut album, then LeBrie replaced him, if I'm not mistaken. Jordan Rudess is either DMT's second or third keyboardist and now has been with the band for several years and recordings. So in all, not but a couple of changes over 25 years. That aside ...

I hope you're going to the show, but be ready to pay attention. Portnoy pointed out the length of Dream Theater's songs, and one must pay attention as they progress from key change to tempo change to another key change to another tempo change. They're soft and romantic in one segment, then rough and death metal scary the next. They aren't three minutes of head banging and let's move on to the next song that the typical musically ignorant American fan can swallow.

And if you go, you may very well leave the place saying, "Damn, that's the best band I've ever heard."

Take care,

Coach Bill in NorCal

No comments: