Friday, June 11, 2010

End o' week musings





I've been dragging this week and I feel like I havent done much of anything! I'm sure part of it's due to being quiet in the evenings and resting my back so it will heal up...




Which brings me to last Friday~ I went to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena. I was supposed to dance, but my back wasn't up to it, but I went anyway to support my drummer and to see everyone. There was a great array of art with many different styles and media. The Sundowners were providing the grooves-- I sooo like them!




Finally it was Ric Sarabia drummer extraordinaire and my close personal friend's turn on the stage. He did three or four of his crowd-pleasing songs along with his infectious banter. People really enjoyed Ric's rendition of the Patridge Family hit, "I Think I Love You" and begged for more of his "Checkoslovakian Boyfriend." He's really developed quite a following at the gallery, which thrills me, as I was the one to drag him there to give me some rhythms instead of the usual canned tunes.


Ric and I will be back at GATOW in September during my birthday weekend and at the Los Angeles County Fair later that month. Stay here for all the news on where you can catch my shimmies and his grooves!

Saturday I joined movie critic Vernor Rodgers (http://www.sgvn.com/ and http://www.dabelly.com/ ) for the Whittier screening of "Max Neptune and the Menacing Squid." He really enjoyed the movie and I liked seeing it on the big screen- so much detail! I'm sooo proud of these "hometown" filmmakers!! Now, Max, off to conquer the world!

Sunday was "tie one on" day at GATOW, but my friend Angela and I decided to do something a little different. We dressed for summer (it was going to be hot) and added flowers to our hair and donned flower leis. I have coconut and tiki cups, so we each grabbed one with a big crazy-curl straw to add to our look and headed out the door.




We arrived at the gallery to see owner Ben McGinty wearing a sailor hat and attire that could have been out of a certain Broadway musical. "Oh, you got the memo," I said to Ben, "It's 'South Pacific' day at the gallery." At this, Ben burst out singing "Ain't Nothin' Like a Dame." Yes, we have too much fun!



Angela and I hung out, looking at art, chatting with the artists and sipping cocktails. It was a long, lazy afternoon. We both won prizes in the raffle- a collage for her, a painting for me and I won a bracelet in Saturday's raffle too.


The remainder of my week was interview-packed, along with plunking out stories and getting in walks and exercise to keep my back on the mend. Tonight I'm helping a friend with his college term papers and Sunday I'm going to help another friend with sewing and other projects. Keeping busy is a good thing!


In rotation this week: Karling, Framing Hanley and Orange Sky.

Photos we got 'em: Just some animal photos that amused me on the Net and I wanted to share.
Thought o' the week: Age is just a number. Everyone has been in a tizzy over Abby, the teen who has been sailing around the world and ran into trouble with her boat. Thank goodness she's fine, but how sad she has to pack it in. The thing is a lot of people think her parents are nuts and that she's too young to attempt this adventure, but after hearing an interview with her and learning about all her experience, I think she's just fine.

Now why am I so into this? Well, I feel Abby is a kindred spirit. My parents let me kayak alone in the ocean from the time I was seven in Catalina and San Diego. I flew to England alone at age nine with only a photo to find my grandmother on the other end. At 12, we vacationed in Mazatlan, Mexico and I spent much of the time on my own, exploring the city and hanging out on the beach.
During high school I spent many weekends wandering through Hollywood alone or with my older friends. I started college at 16, graduated at 20 and then drove back to California from New York, stopping when I ran short of money and working whatever job (feeding pigs and chickens, cleaning hotel rooms, waitressing, picking okra) I could find wherever I ended up until I could move on. And that was just the beginning of my adventurous life.
My friends often say that I lived enough life for several people and they're probably right. When I think back, I sometimes feel my parents were a little crazy to let me do some of the things I have, but I was quite mature for my age and I probably would have sought out some kind of adventure behind their back anyway. I wouldn't be the person I am if I had spent my youth at home reading about things instead of doing them. I turned out OK, right?

Don't judge people so harshly, especially based on their age. We're such an age-obsessed society! And it goes both ways too-- look at all the great actresses who can't land good roles when they get older. Lastly, don't let your age determine your actions. If you are strong and healthy and want to do something- then do it! Life's too short to live by a calendar.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: