Friday, October 8, 2010

End o' Week Musings







What?! It's Friday already?! I still have tons to do!




Last Friday I met my friend Jules for dinner. As you may recall, his wife Rose recently died. We chatted about old times as journalists out on assignment and our hopes for the future. Jules was thinking of giving up writing, as it just didn't seem appealing without his co-writer and photographer Rose by his side, but he's thought it over and is going to forge ahead. I think Rose is smiling down at him!



Sunday, my mother and I joined movie mogul Vernor (see Tickets Please at http://www.dabelly.com/ )for "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole." The film was pretty cool. The animation was very good, but the action was a little intense for young kids. We liked it overall, although we found a lot in common with the "Star Wars" saga~ the owl is told to "listen to his gizzard," "use the force, Luke" etc.



I spent the bulk of my week writing like mad-- so many stories, so little time! Last night I got a break shaking my groove thing in my Polynesian/Tahitian dance class. Our new number is better than two days of aerobics! It's super fast and lots of fun.




The highlight of my weekend will be actually working! I have to go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market and explore and then to the Vertical Wine Bistro in Pasadena to relax. Gee, I hate my job ha ha ha! And before you grumble at me that I don't really work for a living, consider having to take all those experiences and put them into words, making them come alive for your readers. Oh yeah, there's also a limit on the length of your story... and a deadline.



Monday night will find me dancing with my swords again. Unfortunately, my drummer extraordinaire Ric broke his hand, so I had to call in reinforcements. The part of Ric will be played by the exotic and talented Joanne and Native American flute player Fred will co-star. We will be opening for Americana singer/songwriter David Oleny ( http://www.blogger.com/ ) with multi-instrumentalist Sergio Webb. Here's the info:


Nocturra & Friends
David Olney with Sergio Webb
8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 11
Coffee Gallery Backstage
2029 N. Lake Ave.
Altadena
$18
626-794-2424.
http://www.coffeegallery.com/


On Wednesday, I am going to see Ed Asner in "FDR" at the Pasadena Playhouse. Watch for it at http://www.sgvn.com/ And for the other days, we'll wait to discover our adventures!





In rotation this week: 2Cents, Pierce the Veil, Herman ze German and assorted other tunes.



Photos we got 'em: Vegetable and doggy Web fun and a photo of Danse Macabre, who will perform in Riverside on Oct. 30.



Thought o' the week: There are no problems, only solutions. That was my father's saying. I don't know whether he made it up or heard it and liked it, but it's a pretty neat way of looking at things.

My special guy also seems to see life this way-- he can remain calm when the rest of the world is crashing down around him and everyone else is freaking out. My dad, on the other hand, had a dreadful temper at home-- I can't speak for how he conducted himself at work, but his mantra still rocks.



I try to keep the phrase in mind when I'm faced with obstacles and on the edge of frustration. I've learned to take a deep breath and step back from the situation before acting and this has definitely paid off.


When you look at something as a problem, you are already on the defensive and setting yourself up for a lot of work and quite possibly a lot of anger. If you turn it around and focus on solutions, you can get creative and make it a positive challenge, one from which you will learn and grow. Whether you are facing issues at work, home, with your health or in dealing with people, there's always room to put the mantra to use. Make your solutions...

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: