Friday, August 10, 2012

End o' week musings




Whew! I'm looking forward to the weekend!



Last Saturday I danced for the opening of the latest art exhibit at Colonnade Art Gallery and Studio in Pasadena. My friend Joanne played violin and drums to accompany me and also keep the music flowing in between my numbers. I entertained the crowd with my veil and some shimmies, but what they really liked were the swords.


It was hard work dancing with my swords in the gallery. First off, it's long and skinny, so I had to turn sideways to work my way from one open space to the next. Then there's the carpeting. You'd think that would be nice, but actually it's hard to dance on carpeting-- you have to be creative when you turn and watch out for carpet burn when you roll or kneel on the floor. But then, I always like a good challenge.



The crowd was quiet, but receptive. They applauded whenever Joanne finished a tune and they tipped us too. In turn, we looked over and enjoyed the art. There was a good variety- paintings, sculpture, glass, photography, jewelry... And a few of our friends dropped by as well, which was nice.



Joanne, along with our friends Joyce and Fred, will be returning with me to perform at the gallery 7 p.m. Sept. 1. This time there will be Native American flute, mandolin and more added to the musical portion of our show. Watch here for details or visit http://www.colartgallery.com/



Sunday was a goofy day. I had lots to do, including spending a chunk of time at my office. They're installing new computers so we needed to save any data we want on disks or other things. I had tons of photos, mostly from Doo Dah Parades and related events, but plenty of band pics as well, so I had my work cut out for me. I also had some music. I managed to get everything on one teeny tiny card -- I have earrings larger than that card!



Yeah, I know I'm still amazed by the advances of technology, but then I was thrilled by the advent of Pong when I was a kid. Anyway, I now have everything saved from my computer and am still waiting for my turn to get the new one....




Monday I interviews Arturo Barrios, vocalist for Indian School. The band is local to the San Gabriel Valley and recently signed. They are releasing and album and playing some shows in the area. I will be writing a story to preview their Claremont concert in September at Rhino Records.




Sunday will be a fun, but tiring day for me. I am performing with Ad Hoc Consort, my Elizabethan band, in San Bernardino at a Masons' lodge. It should be a fun gig, as the Masons always appreciate us.



It's for the women of the organization and the theme is 100 Acre Woods. It's sorta strange because we will be in our Renaissance Faire garb, but my podmate Linda is a huge Winnie the Pooh fan, so I hit her up to borrow some jewelry. She brought me an Eyeore pin, bracelet and earrings. I'll blend them in with my outfit and feel a little more in tune with the event. Oooo "in tune" and I'm playing percussion for the gig-- I made a funny!

After the show I have to run down to Bellflower to meet Carin, Tom and some friends and then we're off to the Orange County Fair to see Weird Al in concert. Of course, I'll change first-- I'm not quite that "white and nerdy" (as his song says).







Monday my drummer Ric and I begin our rehearsals for our show at the Los Angeles County Fair Sept. 15. We will be performing to some taped music (including a piece by my friend, singer/songwriter extraordinaire Joe Walla), as well as Ric's djembe. I'll get a veil solo and Ric will do some of his own songs too. We're doing something totally new - all new - so this is extra exciting!











My other huge thrill is that as of Wednesday I will officially be a part of history! It's not everyday that a living person is honored in a museum exhibit, but wow, in my lifetime I'm seeing it and being a part of it. If you'd like to see my costumes and other Doo Dah memorabilia up close and personal, as well as stuff from a whole throng of other Doo Dah denizens.



"What a Long Strange Trip It's Been: 35 Years of the Pasadena Doo Dah Parade"

Noon-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, Aug. 15-Jan. 6
Pasadena Museum of History, 470 W. Walnut St. , Pasadena
626-577-1660
$7 adults, $6 seniors and students and free for children under 12 and active duty military personnel. Free admission to residents, workers and students in the San Gabriel Valley Wednesdays.

626-577-1660






I hope you'll go visit and then let me know what you think: michelle.mills@sgvn.com





In rotation this week: Owl City, Jewel, Alanis Morissette, Joe Walla, Britney Spears and Oojami.




Photos we got 'em: Pics of me with my veil and Joanne drumming with gallery manager Ann at Colonnade Saturday from Debby Prohias, a fun shot of me hamming it up by the "Hotel Transylvania" display at the movie theater taken by my friend Dean Lee and a cute pet pic from the web.






Thought o' the week: Let go. I've been in a weird mood most of this week. A little too deep in thought perhaps.






Overall, I'm happier than I've been in a long time. I've been rediscovering the joy in life, especially the simple things like a good laugh. But still, I feel as if a chunk has been carved out of my heart. It takes a long time to heal when you lose someone special in your life and you can't always fix it when a friend shuts you out. And sadly, sometimes it's actually the best thing for you.... at least that's what my other friends are telling me... sigh...



For now, I plan to focus on the good things in my world and savor every little joy. Most importantly, I'm going to push the negativity and sadness aside until it drifts away, giving more room for happiness. There's better relationships and adventures out there for me, ones that I deserve. It's time for me - and maybe there's something or someone in your life that you need - to let go.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: