Thursday, March 20, 2008

End o' week musings

Hey, it's not the end of the week! you're saying. But for me it is. I had to work last Sunday so my wonderful boss is giving me the day off tomorrow. Should I stay home and clean house or get out in the sun???

Last Friday found me at the Hub in Colton for bike night with Joe Walla Band. My brother, Jason, and I scoped out all the motorcycles in the lot and talked with some of the riders inside the venue for tips on where to get a good paint job, affordable chrome, etc. We're getting antsy about sprucing my bike up for summer...

Any way, Joe Walla and his boyz were there rockin' out the venue and getting oogled by the girlies. Partway through their first set, several of the patrons asked if they would lower the volume and get a little more countrified and, like any good band, Joe obliged and soon had a full dance floor.

Saturday I went to my exercise classes and then took my mother to visit our friends Carin and Tom in Bellflower. Tom makes the meanest martinis in town and we spent a nice afternoon sipping and chatting.

Sunday was my big day- I learned how to drive a Super 8 car at L.A. Racing School at the Irwindale Speedway. It's a real Nascar that you drive on the 1/2-mile oval. My story, along with photos and a video, will run soon at http://www.sgvn.com/

I went to the Huntington Langham, which used to be the Ritz-Carlton, in Pasadena for a reception on Tuesday evening. I dragged along my friend and faithful knight Sir Ben McGinty, owner of McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena. He didn't put up much of a fuss, though, because we had an opportunity to sample much of the scrumptious cuisine that the hotel will be offering and had a great time networking. It was a fruitful night for both of us. And Ben is always a blast. FYI- watch here for more info on his upcoming gallery event April 3-6 or, if you can't wait, visit http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/ now.

Tonight I have dance practice. Zaynah and I are preparing for our performance at McGinty's Gallery on April 4, plus a few other upcoming events.

Friday I will be going to see "Mask," the new musical opening at the Pasadena Playhouse. The book is written by the same woman who wrote the film of the same name that starred Cher and Eric Stoltz. It's the story of a Glendora/Azusa/Covina area boy who suffered from lionitis, a disfiguring and very painful genetic disease, his mother and their biker friends, who are actually more of a family. The musical aspect sounds weird, but I've seen a preview and thought it was quite well done and very moving.

Saturday is the last day of the session for my exercise classes and I've already registered again. If you're ready to get fit here's the info:

Beginning Monday, March 24th, Tri-Community Adult Education’s spring term begins, offering yoga, pilates, kickbox, step, salsa, weights, bosu and cardio sculpt/abs classes. Come and get fit!
All fitness classes are held at Griswold Adult Education Center, 16209 E. San Bernardino Rd., Covina, Monday through Friday, from 7:30am to 9pm and on Saturdays from 8am to 11am. Open to all fitness levels.

Students may register at any time during the school year for all our classes.
$20.00/1st class; $10 ea./next 3 classes. Seniors (60+ years) $12.00/1st class, $6 each/next 3 classes. For info call (626)472-7681 or (626)974-6801. Class schedule is posted on website: http://www.trifit.info/

It's very economical - $20 per semester for one class, $30 for two and so on. And the teachers are very good. You can also trade out if you decide a class isn't your thing and you'd rather do something else they offer.

My other big plans are to see Brian Kenny Fresno at Mr. T's Bowl in Highland Park Thursday. He's a weird cat with his own grooves, but he makes me laugh.. and think.. I've been a fan for years and he's finally back in town on a day I can see him!
Photos we got 'em: Joe Walla sent me this photo with some weird ghostly circle on his chest (the spirit of Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan perhaps??) and for my more normal readers lol! enjoy the pet pix.

In rotation this week: Offspring, Lillian Axe, Tom Petty, Orange Sky, Moto and bits and pieces of a bunch of other things.

Thought of the week: Deal with it. Life presents us many challenges and one of them is to face a situation or duck it. I've had a problem over the last month or so that I've been dealing with incrimentally. I just really hate to hurt people's feelings and this time I may have to because they're just not getting the point. I've realized I need to be a little selfish and do what is best for me, but it's hard. Why do I feel so guilty? The situation wasn't created by me, but I'm the one fixing it. I took a good look in the mirror and told myself it's time to deal and I am. Is there something you're ducking? Well, as my exercise instructor Anne says when we're doing a tough move- suck it up! Good advice, Anne, thank you.
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: