Friday, March 27, 2009

End o' week musings


Spring has sprung and we're another week closer to my favorite season~ summer!


It was a good week, busy and fun. Beginning with a trip to Maggie's Pub in Santa Fe Springs last Friday with my friends Carin and Tom. I enjoyed a black and tan and a plate of corned beef and cabbage (piled so high that I had to take more than half of it home!). It was the last of the Friday night bands for a while and perhaps that's a good thing. The previous groups were good, but a little loud for a restaurant and this final offering, The Brats, was quieter, but a letdown.
The group is an older set of guys from the business world who are doing the band thing for "fun." Well, it isn't fun for us unless you leave your attitude at the door. They were not very friendly, they took a long time in between songs patting each other on the back for their perfomance and their fans were rude-- not tipping any of the waitstaff.

The Brats' music was mainly cover tunes from what I could tell. Mostly sleepy stuff and the kind of songs people sit around and get wasted to. This was not helping their cause, 'cuz at Maggie's the crowd wants to dance. Their musicianship was OK, but nothing to write home about. Like I said, at least they kept in turned down so we could still talk-- thank goodness or I might have been snoozing in my clam chowder!

I was up early on Saturday, heading out to the Association of Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) event at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park. My friend Lynn belongs to the club and can't get enough of rollercoasters. She's super cool too because she likes to share her fun and in addition to carting her boyfriend Cliff, she invited me and Ben. If these characters sound familiar, they are-- this is the same gang I hang with at the Gallery at the End of the World in Pasadena and went to Disneyland with last year. We make a good team for these outings.


We got to the park before it opened and took a maintenance tour of Sidewinder and rode on Montezooma and Jaguar. We made it to first in line for the Silver Bullet as the doors opened. It really didn't seem that crowded that day, as we made swift work of riding everything that we wanted and more.

My favorite coaster proved to be my nemesis as well. Xcelerator is awesome, going straight up for more than 150 feet, giving a slight twist and then going straight down and on. I love the thrill of not seeing anything but sky and ground.. but the thrill didn't like me. As we hit the slight twist on the way up something pulled in my shoulder and my arm has been a little sore since... Oh well, it will heal and it was worth it.

The other coaster I'm not fond of is Ghostrider. I love the length of the ride, the ups and downs, the views, but I hate the way it rattles your brain. I went on it twice, while Lynn went on it several times. I'm not a whimp, but I know to stop before I get a headache.

My other favorite ride was Silver Bullet. For the unfamiliar, you sit in a seat that has a tad of swing to it because you are hanging from the track above your head--your feet dangle freely. It's a little weird, but it's sooo smooth and fast and it feels like you're flying.

The ACE event included a chicken lunch with boysenberry pie for dessert. You could have other things, but Knott's does these the best. I fed my roll to the big fish, ducks and turtles in the pond nearby-- they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. We also received a t-shirt and had refreshments after the park closes, plus extra ride time on a few of the attractions. It was a terrific day! Thank you Lynn for thinking of me and thank you Ben and Cliff for being good company.

Sunday I went to the Langham, Huntington Hotel and Spa in Pasadena for the kick-off of its new Chocolate Tea. This is decadence at its finest. There is a hint of chocolate in the sandwiches, downright evil desserts and luscious liquid chocolate to drink. And the setting is beautiful. I recommend this tea for special occasions as it is awesome. My story on the tea should publish soon, watch http://www.sgvn.com/ for it.

I've been writing like mad this week, so before I forget, be sure to visit http://www.sgvn.com/ for my stories on New Found Glory, Celtic Squall and the Renaissance Pleasure Faire, "Maritius" at the Pasadena Playhouse and "Eye in the Sky" at the Pasadena Museum of California Art.

Tonight I'm going to see Atomic Bomb Comedy (www.myspace.com/atomicbombcomedy ) at their monthly show in Whittier. I am planning to do a story on them for next month. Saturday is the Pasadena bloggers picnic in Farnsdale Park in Altadena and later I'll be heading out to Mr. T's in Highland Park to catch cyberpunkers Rebel Rebel. I was a member of Rebel Rebel for three years and have been friends with them forever (it seems). I had to quit after I hurt my back in an unrelated event and due to their demanding stage show, I couldn't return.

Rebel Rebel (http://www.rebelrebel.org/ ) is shock punk rock at its best. People leave their shows either disgusted or hankering for more. Yes, they're not for the squeamish, but they're lots of fun. Say hello if you drop in to see their show.


My other excitement coming up includes cleaning my house (yeah, I know, stop laughing), interviewing Marty Stuart, getting peek at the Pasadena Showcase House of Design in progress and hanging out with my special guy on my furlough day. Too much adventure?!? Never!


In rotation this week: Psychostick, Living Things, Lutah Fyah and 69 Eyes.



Photos we got 'em: Just my usual weird pet pics to bring some sunshine to your otherwise dull existence.

Thought o' the week: Find your motivation. I started doing the exercises recommended by my physical therapist and my knee began hurting worse. It was even uncomfortable when I was sitting still or laying down. I knew that would happen, as it takes a bit of pain to gain, but I was hoping it wouldn't be so bad. Still, I've kept at it all week and finally I'm feeling a bit better and the exercises are getting easier. Honestly, I would have preferred giving up and sitting on my tushie watching guilty-pleasure TV... but that wouldn't have gotten me anything but chunkier and more tired.


To keep myself going, I have devised a series of motivators. In the morning, I listen to the radio and do my early workout-- a little lighter set of moves, but they get me stretched, awake and ready to take on the world. Then, I keep my sneakers and workout clothes visible so when I get home, I change and get out the door for my walk, which leads to my evening exercise routine. I also keep a chart on the inside of my armoir where I note what exercise I got that day and if I ate well or poorly. Every Sunday I weigh and measure myself and chart it. This provides me with visible feedback on my progress to get back in shape and health.



Whatever you goal is, be creative and find ways to keep moving forward. Reward yourself when you are successful too. I treat myself to something new from the thrift store or a glass of wine and a bubble bath and other little things. By doing something good for yourself and making yourself better, you are a happier person and you can shine that happiness to make this world a better place too.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

3 comments:

pasadenapio said...

I didn't know about Gallery at the End of the World. I need to get out more!

Vanda said...

That's the most adorable hedgehog I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of hedgehogs.

Mickie said...

The next show at the Gallery at the End of the World is June 4-7. Visit www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com for more info. I'll also post it on my blog.
And that hedgehog was way too cute to pass up sharing!!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie