Friday, October 1, 2010

End o' Week Musings

What a weird weather week! Autumn came in hotter than a baked potato wrapped in foil and last night it began to thunder and lightening, now it's pouring rain... yet still steamy. But I digress.



Last Friday I went to Knott's Halloween Haunt with my friend Angela. We had a blast! We made it through every maze, some of the rides and even caught a few of the shows. There were a few new mazes from last year, as well as a few of the shows. We especially enjoyed the Dia de Los Muertos maze - the colors!- and the Street Drum Corp. performance - such energy and style!



We took a break at the Boo-ffett. There was way too much food there, but I kept to one plate and nibbled on sushi, a piece of Knott's famous chicken and veggies. I finished with a slice of red velvet cake.



I always enjoy the Haunt even though it doesn't really scare me much any more. I like looking at the creatures and the decor and trying to figure out how they designed the props, etc. I so wish I had a house with a big front yard so I could make my own Haunt for Halloween. I have been helping my friends with theirs over the past two years, but it's not quite the same... one day... sigh...


Saturday I ran errands with my mother and hung out with my special guy.

I went to Carin and Tom's on Sunday. It was hot, but I was comfy in the air conditioning sewing away- shortening drapes and other odd jobs. Carin put on some music for me, so the time went even quicker.


I was lounging by the pool when I received a sad phone call. My friend Jules called me to let me know his wife, Rose, had died. She was a wonderful person- always happy and laughing. Tom made me a martini that we shared while we chatted about Rose and Jules (Carin and Tom know them too). Then we went to Stox for dinner. Surprisingly, I still had a good appetite.

Rose's death hit me harder Monday and I have been down most of the week, but I have been doing everything- going to work, walking, etc. - as it's better to keep busy.

This week I interviewed Rob Zombie (visit http://www.sgvn.com/ to read my story), James Raymond, glass and gourd artist Leigh Adams, and Joe Bartone of Thelonious Dub. T-Dub is touring in late October/early November performing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" their own style with Paul Black singing-- they'll be all over SoCal and you should catch them, as it's really cool!




Tonight I plan to meet Jules for dinner. Sunday it's off to the movies with critic Vernor to see the owl film. Mom will be coming along too. I don't have anything lined up in the way of excitement for next week, but the week is young, so you never know...


In rotation this week: The New Czars, 2Cents, Pierce the Veil and Glen Wool.



Photos we got 'em: Just some cute pics off of Stuffonmycat.com and Stuffonmydog.com

Thought o' the week: Remember laughter. If you're into classic rock, you'll quickly recall Robert Plant's question during "Stairway to Heaven": "Does anyone remember laughter?" With the week I've had, I can relate.

I've had quite a full plate of feelings over the past few months and then was given an extra helping of hurt and frankly, I've had enough. I know I'm not alone in this. I have friends who aren't working or aren't working enough (not because they want it that way), friends who are dealing with older parent issues and all sorts of other hard things.




A big laugh is a good thing. It releases endorphins and makes your headaches go away. It gives you a moment where everything is right in the world. It reminds you why you love life.


Don't be afraid to soften hurt with humor and don't feel guilty for giggling when the world is falling down around you. As long as you're not mean to others for the comedy relief and you're still being responsible in your life, it's a good thing to take a chuckle break. Live, laugh, love!
Keep on rockin'
Mickie

1 comment:

Bobby Boy said...

Our weather for the past few days reminded my of the old saying from New England (Pat is a native of Portsmouth NH) "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."
I spent Friday night in Culver City, with Adam and the Chaos Band. Dan Janisch opened with an eclectic set, then AMCB took the stage for what was billed as an Adam originals set, but morphed into a cover session that reminded me of late night at the Buccaneer.