Friday, March 4, 2011

End o' Week Musings

Last week was unique, as my Saturday was different from most...






I went to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena for the liquidation sale. While I was there it began to rain. Oakie, a big German shephard type dog, was snoozing by the front counter, where she has a good view out the front door. She eyed the rain, but didn't move.




The rain turned to ice, Oakie still stayed put. Next it began to snow. Oakie's head went up and she couldn't resist joining the GATOW group on the sidewalk out front of the space, where we could watch the snow floating down. It seemed like everyone else came out to savor the moment as well, as the kids from the dance studio across the street were giggling, the people at Rancho bar next door came out and were taking photos and so on.


It was truly magical!

The snow felt good as it kissed my face, plus it was sooo pretty. As for Oakie, she was fine- her coat must be four-inches long and very thick. The snow stuck on her back, but she wasn't bothered.

Sunday I took my mother to see Los Fabulocos featuing Kid Ramos perform. The VFW was packed and everyone was friendly. Lots of people took to the dance floor, even my mom and I shook our groove things. It was a great show, but then that's expected from Los Fabulocos-- they are talented, fun and know how to get the crowd on their feet.


Ad Hoc Consort's last off-Ren Faire site rehearsal was Tuesday and Heidi the dog was there to observe as usual. We must have sounded pretty good this time, as she was almost asleep through most of our set! Classes and rehearsals for Faire begin in another week at Santa Fe Dam.


On Wednesday I met designer Joshua Cain at the Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts to discuss his work. Cain is transforming the once-dilapitated stables into a sparkling guest house with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It's quite the spot. I'll let you know when my story publishes so you can take a look, but I know it will be much better in person.

There's also a cool perk~ because the guest house is situated right by the marketplace and in the middle of the gardens, you will be allowed to visit it for free during Showcase hours. For more information, visit http://www.pasadenashowcase.org/




Tonight I'm thinking about going to Cafe 322 in Sierra Madre to see Dirty Dave Osti & the Dynamites and Sunday I may go to Catharae's belly dance hafla in La Verne. But my main goal for the weekend is to sew my costumes for Faire. It shouldn't take too long and I enjoy it, so it won't be bad... Also, I'm out of the office Monday, so no blog update-- sorry!




The rest of next week is wide open for adventure, which I know is peeking at me from around the bend!

In rotation this week: The Sundowners, Tim Curry, Shadows Fall and Coheed & Cambria.


Photos we got 'em: Two cute pet pics from the Web and a photo of Heidi I took with my cell phone during rehearsal (it's OK, it was between songs).

Thought o' the week: Make it work. Has there been something you wanted to do or a relationship you wanted to keep, but didn't because you have a busy schedule? I believe if you really want to make something work in your life, you will find a way to fit it in.




My friends always comment about how busy I am. Well, I don't want to look back on my life regretting that I missed an opportunity because I was vegging out in front of the TV. I try to do as many things as I can and keep in touch with my friends as well. It takes a little juggling, but it can be done.


My biggest trick is writing it all down in my calendar- if it's not there, it doesn't exist to me. Relationship-wise, my friends all have different schedules, so our visits may only be once in a while, but a phone call or e-mail fills the gaps well.


It takes some effort, but I love my busy life... I'll sleep when I'm dead!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

1 comment:

Bobby Boy said...

I have a song to go with that last line: "I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.