Friday, February 24, 2012

End o' week musings




Wow! The last two weeks are becoming a blur as I look ahead to committments and adventures.



I have been a busy journalist. Among my many recent interviews have been illustrator David Russell, who worked on the film, "Red Tails," singer/songwriter Cheryl Wheeler and lead singer Luke Pritchard of The Kooks.






Last Friday I had a day off. I went with my special guy to Santa Anita Park in Arcadia. We went to the FrontRunner restaurant for lunch - and a little horse betting - where Sous Chef (and my friend, plus bass player for Dramara and Halford) Mike Davis works. He came out for a minute to chat, but it was sooo busy that he couldn't hang out and sip cocktails with us. Darn! 'Cause the bartender makes a really good Bloody Mary.




Later in the afternoon, my guy and I went down to the seats by the track for a better look at the horses. They are sooo beautiful. I got a kick out of the horse-drawn carriage that helps move people around the track, as its main rider was Lexi, a sweet Jack Russell terrier, who seemed to know she was special. My guy and I both won a little bit, but not enough to brag. OK, I won $2.43, but I was only betting $2.40 per race. And for those of you doing math, that's less than $20 for a day's entertainment.





Saturday I went to Lighten Up SGV's Supermarket Tour to learn how to shop for better nutrition and better health. You can read some of the host's tips at www.insidesocal/dieting And learn more about the FREE (that means no excuses my little couch potatoes) Lighten Up SGV programs and resources, visit http://www.lightenupsgv.com/





For dinner I met Vernor ( www.twitter.com/vernorsticket ) for dinner at BJ's. We celebrated his birthday with a meal - I had the Kung Pao Chicken, which was terrific - ending with a chocolate chip Pizookie. The Pizookie arrived with a lit candle, which Vernor quickly blew out. I asked him, "Did you wish that you could blow out the candle? Or perhaps that the fire department wouldn't show up?" He laughed... good thing, I guess.






My day finished by going with my friend Roc to the Canyon Club to see Which One's Pink, a Pink Floyd tribute band. They were very good and I wouldn't mind seeing them again some time. It was well worth my staying out too late!






Sunday Louise and I went to Carin and Tom's to visit and do a few odd jobs. I delivered some pillows I had made for Carin's outdoor "Casbah" patio couch and began work on a weatherproof cover for it. Louise finished some work she was doing in Carin's rock garden. Then we relaxed in the Flamingo Lounge area, then the Casbah (had to try out the pillows) and finally in the living room of the house when it got chilly.





Tuesday was fun. I had a coupon for a free bowl of soup at Chik-fil-a, so I stopped in before I went to band rehearsal. On my way in the door, I met a very tall cow dressed up like a pirate and accompanied by a princess. Hmmmm.... I put in my order, sat down and was enjoying my soup when the cow sat down across from me. I said hello and he... I mean she nodded. I asked the cow if she was tired of all the kids grabbing her and she nodded again, very deeply, lol! I also told the cow that she reminded me of the cow on the Chik-fil-a calendar for February, who was steering a boat. I took the cow's photo and got a hug. Now that doesn't happen every day!



I got to do a short solo again in my Polynesian/Tahitian dance class last night. I'm the newest dancer - I've been taking the class for just about a year, while everyone else has been with it for more than five years - so I'm usually in the back row. It's an honor to get a minute to shine.










Tomorrow I will be going to Lighten Up SGV's Women's Wellness Seminar, which includes health screenings, talks and lunch. I'll report on that at The Skinny blog later next week. The I have two hard days- the memorial for Carin's father Sunday and Byron's dad's funeral Monday.












Now for brighter things- get some culture by reading my stories on "Antony and Cleopatra" opening at A Noise Within, "The Treatment" opeing at Boston Court, the art exhibit "Richared Bunkall" A Portrait" now open at Pasadena Museum of California Art and British rockers The Kooks coming to Pomona by visiting http://www.sgvn.com/ And while you're there, take a minute to read Vernor's Oscar picks.





In rotation this week: Orange Sky, Terrible Things, Tracy Newman & the Reinforcements, Elton John & Leon Russell, Black Water Rising and Symphony X.



Photos we got 'em: The Chik-fil-a cow, Lexi in her carriage at Santa Anita Park and my usual cute pet pics.




Thought o' the week: Ease the bitter with some sweet. Years ago I went to another friend's father's funeral and was handed some coins. My friend is part-Chinese and she explained that their tradition is to give change to the young people at the funeral so they can buy some candy, with the idea that the sweetness of the treat will take away some of the bitterness of the pain of losing someone dear.




I can't say the candy really made me feel that much better, but the thought certainly did. What a nice tradition. It reminded me how, when I was a child, my mother and I would stop at the bakery on the way home after I had to get a shot at the doctor's office. Maybe all life should be like this... maybe it is.... If we only take the time to look up from our sorrow to see the beauty and good in life-- a tiny flower, a happy hummingbird or an ice cream cone. Pain and sadness teach you to appreciation these things.






I have a few hard days ahead of me, but they will also be filled with happy memories of lives well-lived. Both men who have passed were good to the others around them and left their own special legacy, they are deserving of more than the simple honors we can give. I may cry, but I will also smile and laugh-- a little bitter and a little sweet.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie




































No comments: