Friday, July 27, 2012

End o' week musings


Some weeks seem longer than others and after a little thought (and a cup of coffee and half a bar of chocolate) I've decided that this week is one of the longest ever. Not because I was anxious over some grand adventure, but rather because almost every day was overstuffed with, well, stuff.

Friday I went to the Troubadour in West Hollywood to see Flytraps, The Muffs and The Zeros- two classic punk bands and one newbie. It was a good show, read my review
http://www.dailynews.com/lalife/ci_21158563/troubadour-show-proves-timeliness-zeros-reunion for more.









On Saturday I went to the Hawaiian Festival in Lawndale with my friend Linda. We wore our flowered dresses and sunhats and toted our lawnchairs. It was in a very open park with little shade, so we stayed as long as we could bear the heat. We nibbled on shaved ices as we watched dance performances to mostly live music and wandered through the vendor booths.












One of the dance groups was amazing-- it consisted of young men and women doing warrior choreographies complete with chanting. They looked great and moved very well. I wanted to join them!





Early afternoon Linda and I had enough sun and heat, so we left to have lunch at King's Hawaiian in Torrance. I had macadamia nut crusted chicken, while Linda had Imperial chicken and we shared a plate of spam sushi. We both had plenty of food to take home for another meal, as the portions were ample and the prices were decent. The food was plated beautifully and was quite yummy! I'll go there again for sure.





Sunday I went to the Pacific Asia Museum http://www.pacificasiamuseum.org/ to hear "Little Red Guard" author Wenguang Huang speak. He is an American journalist, who covered China and his book is about his life and family when he was growing up in China. Huang was funny and engaging, as well as enlightening. I particularly liked his story about going back to visit his father's grave.




Huang was going to just leave a copy of "Little Red Guard" on his father's grave, but his sister said he had to burn it so that dad could read it (it didn't matter that the book is in English and dad only knew Chinese). Huang borrowed a lighter from someone and tried and tried to light the book on fire. Finally a gust of wind blew and helped him. After the book turned to ashes, a bird landed in a nearby tree and began to sing. Huang stated that he is not superstitious, but he felt it was a sign of his father's approval. ... What a beautiful story!









I had several interviews this week, with two focused on the upcoming Doo Dah exhibit at the Pasadena Museum of History http://www.pasadenahistory.org/ It opens in less than three weeks!! I can't wait, as I'll be among those honored with a place in Pasadena history, along with the Royal Pup Atticus.




Last night my newspaper group had a huge event at the Rose Bowl. Employees were invited for a State of LANG talk, along with refreshments. When we arrived, we noticed lots of tables set out and it was pretty elegant for a football stadium. The evening included a meeting with talks by different upper management people and special guest Luc Robitaille of the L.A. Kings, a buffet dinner and a raffle. I won a wine tasting at Azo Vino in Covina. It was a nice event and very good for company morale. I hope everyone had a good time.



Lots more writing and interviews on tap for next week, but I'm not sure what other adventures will find me....



In rotation this week: Joan Baez, Rob Zombie, Sleaze Freaks, Beat Union and Dio.



Photos we got 'em: A cute pet pic off the web and photos of my friend Joanne's dog Colonel tired but determined to do his agility class and me and Atticus on our big Doo Dah Parade day, both by Marlyn Woo.



Thought o' the week: Today marks one year since Atticus' passing. For those unacquainted, Atticus was my Jack Russell terrier and "a little dog in search of big adventure." We did a lot together- camping, hiking, boogie boarding and he sat by my side when I reigned over the 31st Occasional Pasadena Doo Dah Parade. Today, rather than feeling sad, I plan to toast the little guy and feel joyous and thankful for the short time he was in my life (is it ever long enough?).






I ask you to also take a few minutes today to remember someone - human or animal - in your life who made it better just by being there. Think of that most special moment, whether it was their support or just sharing a good laugh, that always comes to mind when you hear their name or see their photo. Do it for yourself, do it for Atticus.



I so miss my little guy... I'd like to think that somewhere Atticus is looking down on me and wagging his tail.



Keep on rockin'

Mickie

No comments: