Friday, February 8, 2008

End o' week musings

It seemed like this week flew by. Perhaps it's because I kept busy or maybe it's just because the weather keeps getting better. Today I drove back to the office from my interview assignment with the top down on my car! WOO HOO!! Woo hoo indeed!!

Last Friday I went to catch the Pasadena Community Orchestra performance. Their guest pianist, Katharine Starbird, was phenomenol, but I didn't really care for the Robert Schumann selections she played. The pieces came across plunky and muddled, even though I know that's how they were written, and just not my taste. I would pass on Schumann, but I'd definitely like to see Starbird again.

The second half of the program consisted of selections from Dvorak's "From the New World." I enjoyed this music the best. You could hear all the American music that had influenced the Polish composer- there were bits of folk, spiritual and other Americana woven into the classical flow with precission and beauty.

Saturday was what I call a "mom day." This is when I spend an entire day devoted to my mom. She went with me to exercise and yoga and kept up with the class- to my instructor's surprise (but not mine, my mom is in great shape!). Then we went shopping. Later we went to the Fret House in Covina for the Open Mic Night. My mother really enjoyed the variety of artists and talking with the friendly people there. It was funny, though, because my mom commented that the people only spoke about music. Hello? It's an open mic night and the audience is filled with musicians! ha ha ha!

Sunday, mom wanted to shop again. Yes, last weekend I lost at least three hours of my life in the 99 Cents Store!! But my mom is worth it... sigh... Finally we met up with my brother, Jason, for his birthday lunch at Buca de Beppo. He loved the flash we gave him for his camera and hated getting his photo taken, as you can see here. I warned him to look nice because I was going to post it on my blog!! Ladies, he's single, sweet and makes a good living. Drop me a line if you'd like to know more.

Fat Tuesday I went to Mr' T's Bowl in Highland Park for the Mardi Gras party. There were bands and burlesque dancers and a large crowd. The hurricanes were flowing, along with other drinks and there was a huge spread of food. It was a great time. The coolest thing is that I knew one of the dancers because we have performed at another show together where I belly danced with my swords. She's a nice girl and introduced me to the other dancers, who were very friendly. We had a great talk!
I've spent the rest of my time busy with interviews, writing, working out and catching up on phone calls. Too exciting, huh? Well tomorrow I'm taking my mom to my friends' to work on their rock garden, so that should jazz stuff up.

Valentine's Day will be the hottest for me, as I am going to race car driving school at the Irwindale Speedway in the morning and the Faster Pussycat/Beautiful Creatures concert at Crash Manion in the evening. Feel free to send me flowers and chocolates in the afternoon lol!!

Photos we got 'em: My brother, Jason, looking dumb because he didn't want his photo taken and a couple of cute Stuff on My Cat/Mutt pics. Enjoy!

In rotation this week: Legal Tender, Willie Nelson, Faster Pussycat, HorrorPops, Josie Cotton, Orange Sky and Lamarque Street.

Thought of the week: Get a good night's sleep. One of the things that brightened my life was getting a new bed. My mother bought me a Sealy with latex (I have asthma) and a pillowtop. It's firm, yet soft and wonderful. I was sleeping on a bed that had to be at least three decades old if not more and didn't know what I was missing. Now, with my new bed and electric blanket, I'm truly comfortable and don't seem to be needing as much sleep. I'm waking up ready to go and not all stiff and icky. Do what you can to get the most out of your zzzzs! Happy dreams and

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: