Friday, March 6, 2009

End o' week musings

Gee, it seems like only a week ago I was enjoying a nice breakfast overlooking the ocean in Long Beach. Oh, maybe that's because I was... but I digress.... Please enter my time machine and travel back to when I left you last, Friday, Feb. 20.

On the 20th, I went out to Paladino's in Tarzana to catch the Southern Rock Night. I heard a lot of good music that evening and had a great time, but my main mission was to support Joe Walla. His band was taping for a reality show and drew a nice-sized crowd. Joe offered up a selection of tunes, some very new, as well as a few fan-favorites, with his larger-than-life attitude and sizzling guitar. His band backs him just right, knowing when to work it and when to hang back. I wish them all well with this new endeavor. Learn more about Joe Walla at http://www.joewalla.com/.

Saturday, the 21st, I managed to wriggle out of bed at 6-crack o' dawn- 30 for yoga. My mom and I worked out for an hour and then I "kidnapped" her for a special treat. Paul Dorn is one of my blog followers (yea Paul, I luvs ya!) and is also the bass player for Vin Fizz Flyer. His band was playing a special morning show at Strings in Glendora.

Ah, there's nothing better than the sound of bluegrass in the morning! Vin Fiz Flyer is one of the best groups I've heard. I especially enjoyed their rapport with the crowd and their songs about local history, such as the Mount Lowe Railway above Pasadena. It was little wonder that as their show went on with their music spilling out into the street, people were gravitating inside Strings to join in the fun.

My mother loved Vin Fiz Flyer so much that she bought a CD. There's all the testimony you should need to keep an eye out for the band. Visit www.myspace.com/vinfizflyer

You may also want to check out Strings, as the music store offers free concerts 8-1o a.m. every Saturday. They boast performances by both local and national artists in genres such as blues, folk, rock and more. They also encourage you to purchase a cup of coffee next door to bring in-- pretty good, huh?!

In the evening I went to KCAT studios in Hacienda Heights to see the final taping of "Marty's Corner." The community cable studio is now closed and the talk show, as well as all of the other programming, will have to find other outlets. What a loss! But you can look for "Marty's Corner" online http://www.martyscornerlive.com/ to see past shows, plus get any news they may have. It was a good taping too, as there was a comedian, a comedy troupe, a band and a woman with exotic reptiles.

Monday the 23rd I met up with my friend Ben and we headed out to catch the Carnival Paradise for a well-deserved vacation. On board, we explored the ship and had a nice dinner. Tuesday we explored Catalina Island and sipped drinks at Luau Larry's with our new friends Heidi and Carrie. Wednesday we were in Ensenada and took the tour to Bufadora and then wandered through downtown. Thursday we spent the entire day at sea, so I spent the afternoon at the spa enjoying the steamroom, sauna and a massage.

I started each day working out in the gym and taking the yoga class before breakfast. We always had the sitdown dinner, which was made nicer by our tablemates- two couples from Utah and one couple from Seattle. I ended each day going to whatever show was offered, checking out the karaoke and then dancing to live bands and a DJ until I was ready to sleep (anytime between midnight and 3 a.m.)

The last day we docked in Long Beach at 4 a.m. I woke up and looked out my window to see the Queen Mary! Wow! After packing, we went down to the breakfast buffet where we met some of our ship friends and enjoyed a final meal. I arrived home in the afternoon refreshed, yet needing some rest.

Rest! What?! You know me better than that. My friend Carin called and invited me to join her and her husband at Maggie's in Santa Fe Springs for dinner. There was a band and it was packed! I enjoyed a nice meal and shared some of my experiences from the trip. I finally made it home to bed around midnight...

Saturday my friend Louise held a Christmas tree party. Yeah, it sounds weird... but it was cool. Every year she decorates an artificial tree for the holidays in a unique way- there's been flamingos, tea bags, playing cards, etc. This year it was fishing lures. She holds a party later in the New Year because people have time to come. We were asked to dress as fishermen and I complied, even using a small cooler as my purse. We played some party games, ate really good salad and pizza and had a great time.

This week I've been getting back in my groove at work. I interviewed several interesting people, including musician and actor Chris Thomas King. He was very nice and I hope I can catch his concert at the Arcadia Blues Club.

Last night I went to McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World for the artist's reception. I will be dancing there tonight with my belly dance partner and some drummers and yes, I will be bringing my swords. Here's the info:

1st Friday Art Club is 7 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday night. You can see all of the interesting art, plus catch performances by Redwood Stills, Almase Arabesque, drummer/actor Ric Sarabia and more. $5 cover.

Saturday is potluck barbecue day. Bring a dish to share and enjoy music by Vise Virsa. Cool grooves, yummy eats and new friends.

Sunday brings an almost-repeat of Saturday, but with a brunch and entertainment TBA. Your favorite dish to share welcomed.

McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World
2475 Lake Ave.
(cross street is Mariposa, venue is next door to Rancho Bar)
Altadena
(626) 794-8779
http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/

If you drop by over the weekend I will probably be there too, as it's just about the coolest place I know!

In rotation this week: Orange Sky, Psychostick and a selection of new songs by my friend Ralph Tomaselli.

Photos we got 'em: Just a clutch of cute animal pics that made me smile and I hope they make you grin too.

Thought of the week: Keep a sense of humor. This morning I came into work, opened the paper and looked at the front page of the entertainment/features section and got a surprise. Next to the section name Weekend was my phone and the LARGE headline Good time underneath it in very SMALL letters was a reference to one of my stories (but not my phone number thank goodness!). Too funny! Evidently I'm a good time on the weekend!

Another person may have been upset, embarrassed or even angry, but me... I laughed and pointed it out to my co-workers. Hey, it must be true that I'm a good time, it's in print and you know the newspaper can't print anything that isn't true. ... Are you laughing now?? It's OK. I did. And that makes my point. It's much easier to go through life with a giggle on your lips than a scowl. Take things in stride and don't be so serious about everything. Life is short, relish in the fun, even if the joke's on you!

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

1 comment:

Mickie said...

Hello Miss Havisham,

Actually I still maintain my Diary of a Doo Dah Queen blog, but Mickie's Zoo gets much more of my attention. Hope to see you soon!

Hugs,
Mickie