Friday, March 13, 2009

TheBoot.com names 10 best country drinking songs

With millions of us gearing up to hit our favorite local pubs on Tuesday to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, the editors of AOL Music's country music sit, TheBoot.com, have just named the 10 best country drinking songs of all time. What better genre of music to accompany that Tall Boy than country? These aren't just songs about boozing -- they're the ones you love to sing along to at your favorite watering hole ... given enough liquid courage, of course.

Here's a a link to the feature (which actually features the top 25).

http://www.theboot.com/2008/03/04/best-country-drinking-songs-no-1/


10. “I Love This Bar” - TOBY Keith (2003)
Cheers-worthy lines: "We got waitresses and we got barflies / A dumb-ass and a wise-guy / If you get too drunk just sleep out in your car / Reason number 672 why / I love this bar."

09. “Six Pack Summer” - Phil Vassar (2000)
Cheers-worthy lines: "Got the ultra-ray wraparound sunglass vision / Got the sails up, iced down, a cool ambition / Just to relax and let the six-pack summer roll."

08. “ I Gotta Get Drunk” - George Jones, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson (1970)
Cheers-worthy lines: "A lot of doctors tell me / That I'd better start slowing it down / But there's more old drunks than there are old doctors / So I guess we'd better have another round"

07. “Pop a Top” - Alan Jackson (1999)
Cheers-worthy lines: "Pop a top again / I think I'll have another round / Sit 'em up, my friend / Then I'll be gone and you can let some other fool sit down."

06. “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight”- Hank Williams, Jr. (1984)
Cheers-worthy lines: "Do you wanna drink? / Do ya wanna party? / Hey, this is ole Hank ready to get your summer started / I cooked a pig in the ground, we got some beer on ice / And all my rowdy friends are coming over tonight."

05. “Alcohol” - Brad Paisley (2005)
Cheers-worthy lines: "Since the day I left Milwaukee / Lynchburg, Bordeaux, France / Been makin' the bars lots of big money / And helpin' white people dance.

04. “You Never Even Called Me By My Name”- David Allan Coe (1978)
Cheers-worthy lines: "I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison / And I went to pick her up in the rain / But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck / She got run over by a damned old train."

03. “Friends in Low Places” - Garth Brooks (1990)
Cheers-worthy lines: "I've got friends in low places / Where the whiskey drowns / And the beer chases my blues away / And I'll be OK."

02. “Margaritaville” - Jimmy Buffet (1977)
Cheers-worthy lines: "There's booze in the blender / And soon it will render / That frozen concoction that helps me hang on."

01. “Whiskey River”- Willie Nelson (1973)
Cheers-worthy lines: "Whiskey River, take my mind / Don't let her mem'ry torture me. / Whiskey River, don't run dry / You're all I've got, take care of me."

No comments: