Friday, November 20, 2009

End o' week musings

And what a week it was!


Friday I was feeling under the weather, but still made it to see "Baby It's You!" at the Pasadena Playhouse. The show was fantastic- filled with great music and costumes to die for. I highly recommend checking out the show and making it a date... even your mom would be happy to go with you.


Saturday I felt even worse, so I spent the bulk of it in bed. I slept and slept and slept, so I know I was fighting off the creeping crud. I took it easy Sunday too because I wanted to get better quick.





After work on Tuesday I took my mom to the grocery store and she convinced me to go in on a turkey with her for Thanksgiving- you figure out who's cooking the thing. She almost escaped me down the boxed stuffing aisle, but I stopped her and said that if I'm cooking, I'll do it my way, which is with as much fresh stuff as possible. I'm going to make oyster stuffing, mashed potatoes with onions and cheese and steamed asparagus (or other yummy veggies). I did concede to a can of cranberry sauce and I'll probably buy a loaf of fancy bread to round out the meal.


I haven't decided on pie or ice cream or ice cream cake-- any suggestions?? And of course there will be wine ... or perhaps my special guy's favorite blend of rum and pineapple juice. Gotta take the edge off when you're cooking for mom!


Thursday my friend called me to offer me his tickets to see "HMS Pinnafore" that night at the Covina Performing Arts Center, as he had become ill and could not attend. He called the box office and made arrangements so my mom and I could go in his place.


My mother enjoyed the show quite a bit, although she thought much of the acting lacked personality. The singing and music was terrific, the staging and acting not so much. In fact, it was kinda high schoolish. I was very disappointed with the show, as it didn't meet the supposed caliber of the venue nor the not-so-cheap ticket price. (OK I didn't have to pay for my tickets, but my friend would have probably been disillusioned as well).



Maybe it's just me and I'm too much of a purist when it comes to theater, but there were quite a few distractions in the show. The orchestra was set toward the very back of the stage and were seated with their backs to us. The first half of the show was done like a sloppy rehearsal. During the overture , the stage crew set up and moved chairs, swept the floor and made other noise and then the cast rambled on and across the stage, talking and goofing around. It ticked me off because I wanted to hear the music.


The operetta continued with the "director" stopping the "cast" in places, aside arguements between people and other assorted things to make the audience feel as if we were watching a real rehearsal. Well, whenever I've done a show, we were supposed to be quiet and respectful of what was going on on the stage, so this was pretty much bunk and just downright annoying. The second half was a bit better. It was done like a real performance with everyone but the leads in basic black, yet the orchestra still had their backs to us.


The biggest standout of the show was the actress playing Buttercup- she was phenomenol. She could sing, dance and act and not overact - she was perfect!

Tonight I am planning to visit the holiday boutique at the La Fetra Center, 333 E. Foothill Blvd. in Glendora. It is open until 9 p.m. tonight and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. There will be craft items and baked goods for sale, as well as a $5 and under table. My friend Linda does copper enameling and makes candy and has some items there. She scooped it out yesterday and told me that there are many nice items that would make good gifts.

I am also hoping to make it out to the Buccaneer in Sierra Madre to catch Adam Marsland's Chaos Band. The show is free and the drinks are cheap, so consider coming out tonight.



Saturday I will be learning how to make candy during a class at A&J Cake in Glendora. I'm doing it for a story, but Linda (see above) is so convinced that I will get hooked that she brought me a roll of waxed paper to get me started! After class, I'm taking my mother to the Altadena Senior Center to see the Crown City Community Orchestra in concert.




Sunday is the No Doo Dah Day party at the American Legion in East Pasadena with Snotty Scotty & the Hankies. It starts at 2 p.m. and if I'm not too tired, I will head down to the Altees.net launch party in Hen's Teeth Square in Pasadena. It's for 7 p.m.-1 a.m. and will feature art, music, shopping, food and more.

Next week holds even more adventures I'm sure!



In rotation this week: Emilie Autumn, Contessa Black, Grant Langston and assorted other bits and pieces.




Photos we got 'em: Two pet pics from my e-mail inbox, a photo of one of the minipig from Pennywell Farm painting and the Integratron and a dance still from my desert adventure.



Thought o' the week: Make joy. I'll be honest, from just after Halloween through New Year's Day I fight depression. This time of the year makes me very sad and is very hard for me. A lot of personal pain led to this and I'm not going to dwell or elaborate, as that isn't my point today.


Instead of sulking, I try to spend this time of the year thinking about others. I try to be extra nice and thoughtful with my words and actions. When shopping for gifts, I take the time to try to select something that will mean the most to the recipient and often something they can definitely use, whether it's movie tickets, hand cream or dog treats. It makes me feel good to do this and I can't help but smile and hum as I wrap the items.


Not every gift is big and expensive. I usually buy a lot of little things to give to co-workers and other people who have touched me in some way. Something small enough to say you're special to me, but not big enough to make them feel obligated to run out and buy me a gift. After all, it's not what you'll get, it's the giving that counts.

And the giving doesn't have to be a present, it can be time, a shoulder to lean on and smile to share. No matter how you are feeling this time of year, think of others and make joy and it will warm your heart.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie















No comments: