Friday, May 14, 2010

End o' week musings





I give, I give... tomorrow I plan to sleep in!! I've been burning my candle at both ends this week and need some zzzzs.





Friday night I couldn't just go home and vege, so I went to KatieJakes in West Covina and spent the bulk of the night on the dance floor. The band was great and the beer was cold...






Saturday morning I joined fellow Pasadena area bloggers for a private tour of Pasadena City Hall led by Public Information Officer Ann Erdman. She is just a fountain of knowledge! Ann shared history, architectural information and tidbits of other things. The building is absolutely beautiful outside and the inner sanctums are quite nice too.





The highlight of the tour came when we were led into the council chambers and Ann asked us to relax-- in the council's seats! We filed in and I ended up in Mayor Boggard's chair with a gavel at the ready, so of course I brought thing's to order. And after Ann's talk, I got to adjourn our meeting too!







I wonder how the Mayor would feel if he knew a former Doo Dah Queen had taken his place for the day. I think I'd do a good job because I try to treat people fairly and not shake things up too much, except for maybe making it OK to dip your toes in the courtyard fountain!


We ate at Californa Pizza Kitchen and I had the Morrocan salad. This is one of the best salads I've ever had. It featured squash, dates and beets-- a combination that I would have never thought of, but worked wonderfully.



In the evening I took my mother to meet our friends for dinner at the Peppertree in Glendora. The meal was nice and the company was fun. It was a very good end to a happy day.



Sunday I cooked dinner for my mom, as Monday was her birthday and I knew I would be working late. I made corned beef in my crock pot and served it with garlic mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and a medley of asparagus, Chinese snow peas and mushrooms. My friend Byron joined us and we went for a walk after dinner. Then I surprised my mom with coconut cake and orange/vanilla ice cream. She was thrilled.



I did give her come gifts as well- a matching set of silver hibiscus earrings and bracelet from Kailani's in Covina. I love this Hawaiian-themed jewelry store!




The rest of my week was filled with writing and interviews. Last night was especially fun because I had a private screening of "Max Neptune & the Menacing Squid." The film was made in Whittier and is set in the Whittier of the future. It's like an old Flash Gordon-type of series show with strange creatures, a light tone and lots of action. It's fun for the whole family, as they say... Learn more at http://www.maxneptune.com/





I've got a full slate for the weekend and am hoping to carve out some time Sunday to visit the Renaissance Faire. Have costume, will travel lol! It should be a nice day, but I'll remember my sunscreen and a parasol just to be safe.





In rotation this week: Orange Sky, The Randies, Offspring and other assorted stuff.




Photos we got 'em: A shot from the bloggers' outing to Pasadena City Hall, the poster for "Max Neptune & the Menacing Squid" and pet pics from the Web.


Thought o' the Week: Be true to yourself. Just because the world isn't working the way you'd like, it doesn't mean you should compromise your values and ethics or try to be someone you're not.



I've been thinking about a friend's comment in passing that "you should be yourself." He meant that I shouldn't change to make people happy, I should be how I feel happy. I often go out of my way to please others, but I didn't realize that in doing so sometimes I compromize my own feelings. Becoming aware of this also made me see some of the things that make me depressed and frustrated.


Now don't take this as an excuse to run wild and act however willy nilly not caring how you affect others. What I'm trying to get across is that you can be good and nice and still be a little selfish - in the right ways. I'm who I am, a little weird, a little goofy, a little sassy.... but all in all I'm a pretty good person who loves my friends and tries to spread some happiness and kindness wherever I go. Embrace me, reject me, either way I'll still be me. How about you? Are you comfortable in your own skin?

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: