Monday, May 17, 2010

Ronnie James Dio ~

Metal master Ronnie James Dio succumbed to cancer Sunday, May 16.


I was getting ready for bed last night (Sunday) when I heard the news and my phone has been ringing since and I've been getting lots of e-mails from my friends.


I had admired Ronnie's music for years and when I fronted a hard rock/metal band in the '90s, I listened to his voice for direction. He quickly became my favorite singer. Then I finally had an opportunity to meet him for an interview during one of the NAMM (International Music Merchants Association) conventions.


We sat next to each other on a couch and talked for more than two hours. It was more than an interview, it was a blossoming friendship that continued to grow every time our paths crossed.


Ronnie made me laugh, as at his concerts, he would invite me backstage and grab my hand and "drag" me around with him as he made the rounds of friends and fans. He treated me like a daughter, kissing my cheeks and mussing my hair as he chatted with me about music and life.


I feel very fortunate for having been a part of Ronnie's world. He always made time for me no matter how busy he was and he was always gracious, charming and sweet. He also gave me good advice and provided some direction in my life.


Ronnie will remain in my heart always~ with magic and love.

1 comment:

Mickie said...

Thank you for sharing Bob. And thank everyone for your kind words, memories and thoughts.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie